How do i get my dac report
Tip: Recommended: Nero BackItUp&SendIt - Send large files for free! Looking for a quick way to send videos and large files that are too big for email?
- Q: Is there a direct download link for IrfanView and Plugins?
A: Yes, the links are available since years on my website.
For IrfanView: see the IrfanView website: Other Download Sites and Scroll the the end of page (Alternative links) or click here .
For Plugins: see the Plugins page. Alternative link.
Some important infos:
1) Please take care when downloading IrfanView from software sites which are not listed on the Downloads page .
2) Some sites use custom/unknown downloaders which can contain malware or ask you to pay for a (free!) download.
3) The original filenames and SHA-checksums of IrfanView and Plugins installer are visible on the Downloads page.
- Q: I want to create a CD-ROM with images and I will put IrfanView on the CD. How can I start IrfanView's Slideshow when I insert the CD in the drive?
A: You can create either a self running EXE slideshow file (in the slideshow dialog) or you can copy the original files to the CD and use a TXT file. Read the help file page "How to start IrfanView slideshow from a CD?" for examples.
- Q: Generic problem with video files: If I try to play some AVIs, I get the error message "Video not available, cannot find XYZ decompressor"!
A: The correct video codec is not installed, please check this site for the right codec (see in menu Image->Information for the codec name):
A good codec pack is the K-Lite Codec Pack. it contains the most popular video/audio codecs.
- Q: How to reduce saved file size from XX to YY KB?
A: There is no one-click solution for that, sorry.
1. Open an image.
2. Go to menu Image->Resize/Resample and reduce the image dimensions in pixels.
3. Go to menu File->Save as, choose JPG and save as new file (see also JPG save options like: lower JPG quality, uncheck EXIF, etc.).
4. Look at the file size of the new file. If still too big, repeat the steps, using smaller pixel size and/or lower quality, etc.
X. For many images, use File->Batch Conversion, Advanced options.
Note. since version 4.20, a new JPG save option has been allowed: Set file size. IrfanView PlugIns must be installed.
- Q: Problem: Since yesterday, IrfanView shows all my images black/white! Why?
A: The load option for JPGs "Load as grayscale" in 'Properties->JPG/PCD/GIF' is activated, please uncheck!
Note: in the Save dialog, see JPG format save options. The option "Save as grayscale" must not be active.
- Q: Problem: IrfanView can't read filenames/paths with chinese, japanese, polish etc. characters.
A: Please activate the UNICODE PlugIn in Properties->Languages.
- Q: How to use JPG lossless operations (Rotation, IPTC, Comment) in batch mode?
A: Start the Thumbnail window, open the folder with JPGs, select many JPGs and see in thumbnail menu File for JPG Lossless Operations -> Lossless transformations with selected thumbs. Note: The auto-rotation option works only if the EXIF orientation tag is properly saved (not top-left).
- Q: Is there a portable IrfanView version (for USB sticks, CDs etc.)?
A: Yes, EVERY IrfanView version is portable. You can:
1. Copy your existing/installed IrfanView folder to USB stick (recommended), or
2. Use the normal installer and install IrfanView to an USB stick folder, or
3. Use the ZIP version and unzip to a USB stick folder.
(Note: the ZIP version of IrfanView is always available on the website link Other download sites at the bottom of the page).
- Q: How can I make IrfanView as my default viewer?
A: Start IrfanView, go to 'Properties->Extensions' and associate your types.
- Q: Problem: If I save some images as JPG and set the file size option. I receive a save error message. Why?
A: You can't reach ANY possible file size using JPG compression. The JPG file/image can't be saved smaller than the JPG file/image with quality of 1. means there are certain limitations regarding minimal JPG file size. If you set a smaller file size than JPG (with quality of 1) can compress, you will get an error message. If you want to reach the desired file size, you have to resize the image first (reduce image dimensions in menu: Image->Resize) OR disable the file size option and save only using JPG quality.
- Q: Why is RAW loading slow (Camera RAW formats, e.g. CR2)?
A: This depends which RAW plugin options are used in 'Properties->PlugIns'. The preview option is the fastest, Half-size is fast and if both are deactivated: the full RAW image is loaded => very slow.
- Q: Why are some edit menus or the red eye menu greyed out?
A: Many edit options or red eye reduction works on selections only. Create first a selection (outline rectangle) in the image using the left mouse button.
- Q: How to sort pictures by date-taken ?
A: Open Thumbnails window and load a folder. See thumbnails sort menu, use Sort by EXIF date.
- Q: How to use Batch conversion/rename to sort result pictures in folders with date-taken in folder name?
A: In the Batch dialog, you can use Placeholders in the name of the output directory. If you set a directory name like "C:\sorted images\$E36868(%Y_%m_%d)\", you will save the result files in folders with date-taken (format: YYYY_MM_DD) in folder name, like "C:\sorted images\2011_06_23\".
- Q: How can I batch rename "JPG" files to "jpg" (lower case extensions)?
A: In the Batch-Conversion dialog use the rename pattern: $N.jpg (Be sure you only have JPG files selected/added to the input list).
- Q: How can I add background sound for automatic slideshow or EXE/SCR?
A: In the slideshow dialog put/add MP3 files into the slideshow file list, usually at the begin or before an image. The MP3 file is played until it ends or until next MP3 is loaded from the file list. IrfanView PlugIns should be also installed, at least the MP3 PlugIn.
- Q: Why I can't scroll a large, zoomed (larger than screen) image in fullscreen mode using arrow/page keys?
A: Either is the image not really larger than screen or the option Properties->Browsing/Editing->Jump to next image. active, please uncheck.
- Q: I downloaded IrfanView (or PlugIns) but when I start it, I get the message "This is not a valid Win32 application "?
A: This message is shown for damaged/incomplete EXE files, probably a download error. Download again, try another mirror or location.
- Q: Why is the saved JPG file much bigger than the original JPG file?
A: The JPG file size depends primary on JPG save quality, in the Save dialog options. Normal quality is 75 or 80, higher values will produce larger result files.
- Q: Is IrfanView compatible with Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/Vista/XP 64 bit ?
A: YES. like probably 95% of all 32 bit programs.
- Q: How can I create selection with exact size or ratio?
A: See in menu: Edit->Create custom crop selection (or other selection menus).
- Q: How can I prepare my photos (format 4:3 etc.) to be correct (no cropping or white edges) when using a Photo printing service ?
A: Most photo printing services use formats 3:2 or 2:3 (10x15 cm or 4x6 inches) for photos.
If your images (e.g. from a compact digital camera) are 4:3 or 3:4 (see in Image->Info menu in IrfanView, Original size ratio), you should better crop the desired image area in format 3:2 or 2:3 and print the cropped image. The steps:
1. Open the image in IrfanView (see Image->Info, see if the original size is not alredy 3:2 or 2:3).
2. Go to menu: Edit->Create maximized selection. For landscape images use 3:2, for portrait images use 2:3.
3. See the selection rectangle. If you want to move it, use either mouse (right mouse button click inside of the selection) or arrow keys on keyboard.
4. When the selection is OK, use either menu: Edit->Crop and then File->Save-As or better: Options->JPG Lossless Crop, to save the selected image.
5. Use the new file for printing services.
- Q: How can I tag a file during browsing?
A: See the Hotkeys help file page. Tag a file with X, untag with SHIFT+X, use SHIFT+Q to show all tagged files in Thumbnails window.
- Q: How can I insert another image into the current image?
A: First copy a picture (which should be inserted) to clipboard, e.g. in another IrfanView instance. Now open the right image, use mouse to select a rectangle (or use: Edit->Create custom selection) and if you now use: Edit->Paste, the image from clipboard will be inserted into selection. In properties->editing, you can set to fit or stretch a pasted image into selection.
- Q: Why are IrfanView Thumbnails images not clear?
A: See in Thumbnails Windows options menu/dialog. Deactivate the option 'Load EXIF-Thumbnail for JPGs'.
- Q: If I start IrfanView on Windows 7. the system asks me each time about the start as Administrator. why?
A: Somebody, not IrfanView, set the program properties to "Run as administrator". Disable this option (right click on IrfanView icon/EXE, Properties, tab: Compatibility) and run IrfanView normally. Actually, no option should be selected in the Compatibility tab for IrfanView.
- Q: How can I change the icon for IrfanView associations?
A: Go to Properties->Extensions and choose the Icons button. Here you can set other icon(s) for associated file types.
- Q: Problem: The icons on my desktop are wrong. all show IrfanView/Firefox/etc. icon. How can I fix that?
A: This is usually a problem with the LNK file association, not caused by IrfanView. Go to Google and search for e.g "LNK association fix". You will probably get several hits for sites offering a REG file for LNK fix. Here are some sites:
- Q: Batch conversion: How can I save result files in the original/source folder (even if files from several input subfolders are used)?
A: There are 2 methods:
Method 1) Set the value for the batch destination folder (output directory ) to: $D (placeholder for original file folder).
Method 2) Use Advanced batch options, activate the option Create subfolders in destination folder. As destination folder (main batch dialog), set the root folder of your input files, e.g. C:\, if all input files are located on C drive.
Important note: If you want to overwrite original files (if same output filename and format is used), you also have to activate the Advanced Batch dialog option: Overwrite existing files. Be careful with overwriting!
- Q: Problem: Since yesterday, IrfanView shows all images distorted/stretched! Why?
- Q: Problem: When I resize/resample an image, the image size doesn't change. Why?
A: The View menu option like "Fit images to desktop" is activated (or a similar view option), please uncheck and try another display option, e.g. 1:1 to see the original size.
- Q: How to extract images from the EXE Slideshow?
A: Start the EXE and press F1 for help. Use E hotkey for extraction.
- Q: How to change JPG IPTC/Comment data for many images (batch mode)?
A: In the Thumbnails window, select many JPG images/files and use the menu JPG Lossless Operations а Set IPTC data/Comment to selected thumbs. The data for the first image is applied to all files. The IPTC dialog offers additional options.
- Q: Are the JPG editing options for IPTC/Comment lossless?
A: Yes, the image itself is NOT recompressed.
- Q: How can I use IrfanView to set a random file from a folder/filelist as wallpaper?
A: Use the command line options: /random and /wall, see i_options.txt for examples.
- Q: How can I load only desired file types during the browsing?
Q: How to exclude specific file extensions (e.g. TXT) from browsing through directory?
Q: IrfanView can load e.g. CR2 files, but the files are not shown in the Thumbnail window?
A: Go to Properties->Extensions, edit the file extensions in field Load custom file types; delete unwanted or add special (but supported!) extensions.
- Q: Problem: If I decrease the color depth to 8 or less BPP, the saved JPG file is always 24 BPP?
A: Please note that a JPG can be only saved as 24 BPP or 8 BPP grayscale image. JPG do not allow other BPP values. If you want other BPP values, please use formats like PNG, TIF, BMP, etc.
- Q: How can I change the desktop icon for IrfanView?
A: This is a standard Windows feature. Right click on the desktop icon, then 'Properties'. Now you can set another icon (change icon) or remove/change the hotkey for the program start.
- Q: How can I load file types WITHOUT any extension during the browsing?
A: Go to Properties->Extensions, edit the file extensions in field Load custom file types; add a | at the end, to create an empty extension entry. Optional: go to Properties->File Handling and disable the option: Ask to rename if incorrect extension.
- Q: How to print only a part of the image?
A: Use left mouse button to select the desired part in the image, then use the Print menu.
- Q: How load PDF files in IrfanView?
A: Install IrfanView and PlugIns. Install Ghostscript from e.g. here.
- Q: How to print many files (batch print)?
A: In the Thumbnails window, you can select many images/files and use the menu Print selected files as single images.
- Q: How can I add a Speech bubble/balloon to an image?
A: First find some nice/empty bubble/balloon images, e.g. on sites like: http://openclipart.org/detail/38593 or similar websites (search on Google for "Speech bubble balloon"). You will get best results if you have such balloon images saved as transparent PNGs. Now you can add the balloon image to your normal image using the menu: Edit->Insert overlay/watermark image. Later you can select the inside of the balloon/text area and insert text into the balloon.
- Q: How to open current IrfanView file in Windows Explorer?
A: You can define Windows Explorer as one of the external editors (Properties->Misc). The correct command is like: explorer "/n,/select,"%1
- Q: How to print many images on one page?
A: In the Thumbnails window, use the menu Create contact sheet from selected thumbs. The result image(s) can be printed or saved.
- Q: Is IrfanView compatible with Windows 95 or 98?
A: Yes, IrfanView is compatible with all Win9x- and later Windows versions. Win9x means: Windows 95, 98, 98 SE and Windows ME.
- Q: Is there a way to do batch scanning without having an ADF scanner?
A: Yes, uncheck the option in menu: File -> Acquire/Batch scanning -> Close TWAIN dialog after acquiring image.
- Q: How to use Unicode (e.g. Chinese) text in the Insert-Text dialog?
A: Go to Windows Control Panel, Regional and Language settings (advanced settings), choose "Chinese" for the option "Language for non-Unicode programs".
- Q: Problem: If I try to play some AVIs, I get the error message "Video not available, cannot find MJPG decompressor"!
A: Method 1: Go to 'Properties->Video' and activate the option: 'Use DirectShow for playing' .
Method 2: please install the MJPG (Motion JPEG) video codec. Try these sites:
- Q: Problem: If I try to play some AVIs and MPGs with IrfanView, I always get the error message "MMSYSTEMxxx, no device. "!
A: Please search on http://www.microsoft.com for more infos about the message number. In some cases a fix is available.
- Q: How can I play QuickTime (MOV) files with IrfanView?
A: If you want to play all QuickTime files: install Apple QuickTime, install IrfanView PlugIns. Activate the Quicktime PlugIn for IrfanView in Properties->Video/Sound.
- Q: Bug report: IrfanView won't save settings! Why?
A: There are 2 possibilities, first: your INI (i_view32.ini) file (or whole IrfanView folder) is set to read-only, please change that; second: some "smart" washer/restore tools/plugins are washing too much, please exclude IrfanView files/folder from such actions. You can also redirect the INI file to another folder (see another question below); also possible during the installation.
- Q: Problem: The Add button in the slideshow/batch dialog won't add the selected file to the file list.
A: There is a Windows Explorer "feature": Hide file extensions for known file types. Please deactivate this default (and stupid) Explorer option to show files with their real names and extensions!
- Q: Bug report: The thumbnail window crashes if I have many files in a folder!
A: This is a Windows 9x/XP bug (now also on Windows 7 64 bit => Blue screen, Windows bug), the max. number of files in the folder is system dependent. WinNT/Win2K works fine. Try to split files to several folders.
- Q: Bug report: When I capture a video, why is the screen black?
A: Try to disable video acceleration in Settings -> Control Panel -> Display -> Throubleshooting, during the screenshots. Or start a second player instance and try to capture it.
- Q: Bug report (Windows 9x): In the thumbnail window, when I click on a thumbnail, nothing happens, the image will not be displayed in the main window!
A: You have an old version of the "comctl32.dll", please update this Windows component from the MS homepage, search for Comctl32.dll update.
- Q: Problem: When double click a file which is associated with IrfanView, I get an error message "Cannot find the file [path] or one of its components". What is the problem?
A: Start IrfanView, go to 'Properties->Extensions' and associate your file types again.
- Q: Problem: The PDF files saved by IrfanView need a password on loading. Why?
A: The PDF save settings are not properly set. See the Save-As menu/dialog, PDF format options and set: tab General: "No preview needed"; tab Security: uncheck "Activate security".
- Q: Bug report: IrfanView runs/starts very slowly on my system! Why?
A: Probably an old anti virus program or another background software is running, which causes such problems. Check your system.
- Q: Bug report: The screensaver created by IrfanView shows just few images and then exits. Why?
A: The problem is caused by another running software, which kills the saver. Check your system.
- Q: Upgrade: Is it necessary to uninstall the older version before installing the newer version?
A: No. Install a new version over any older version. After install, just refresh your associations/options under Properties->Extensions.
- Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?
A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine
- Q: Can I use IrfanView on Mac?
A: Yes, probably. There is no native-Mac version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Mac program like WineBottler/DARWINE. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Mac. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run.
- Q: Basic: How can I convert e.g. a BMP image/file to JPG?
A: Open a BMP file using the File->Open menu. Now go to File->Save as menu, choose JPG as output format, set the new file name/folder and save. If you want to convert many files, use the Batch Conversion.
- Q: Basic: Do I need IrfanView PlugIns?
A: Probably not. All basic options/features/PlugIns are included in the standard IrfanView installation. PlugIns contains usually special file formats. If you need a special PlugIn, IrfanView will show you an error message and then you can/should install all other PlugIns.
- Q: How can I add background sound to a VCD (Video CD)?
A: This is not possible by the VCD specification.
- Q: Does IrfanView contain Spyware or Viruses, etc.?
A: NO. If your anti virus program reports a virus or spyware in IrfanView downloaded from the official homepages, you should either update the anti virus program or use a better one.
- Q: Advanced: How to define an external editor (SHIFT+E) for an extension?
A: In the INI file, create a new section [CustomEditors]. Then write a new line and set the value for an extension, like:
PDF = D:\Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe ""%1""
PDF = D:\Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe "-p "%1""
- Q: Advanced: Is there a trick to hide program menu and caption permanently, similar to toolbar and status bar?
A: Yes. In the INI file, write in section [Menu] Active=0 to hide menu, in section [Caption] Active=0, to hide the program title.
- Q: Advanced: Is there a trick to hide common folders from Open/Save dialog list of recent folders?
A: Yes. In the INI file, write in section [Open] or [Save] CommonFolders=0 to hide the common folders (like "My Pictures" etc.).
- Q: I am an administrator. How can I install IrfanView on a server with same settings for all users?
A: 1) Install IrfanView on the server
2) Set your IrfanView options (properties etc.).
Now, set the INI file "i_view32.ini" to read only.
The users can't change IrfanView options anymore.
3) To prevent the registry changes (associations), you can hide the Properties->Extensions dialog.
Write in the INI file:
ShowExtensionsDlg=0 in section [Extensions].
- Q: I am an administrator. How can I install IrfanView on a server but each user should save/use own INI files?
A: 1) Install IrfanView on the server2) Write in the global INI file (i_view32.ini on server):
- INI_Folder=folder in section [Others].
- Q: I am an administrator, IrfanView is installed on a server, each user hat its own INI file. How to set the default program language to e.g. German/Deutsch?
A: Method 1: Prepare a special INI file with custom default settings and copy it over the local/users INI file.Method 2: Write in the global INI file (i_view32.ini on server):
- DefaultLang=dll-name in section [Language].
Example for german:
DefaultLang=deutsch.dll in section [Language].
- Q: I am an administrator. How can I silently install/uninstall IrfanView?
A: Usually, you can download the ZIP version of IrfanView and Plugins and deploy the files.
Self install versions have special start options for silent install (examples, version 4.20):
- iview420_setup.exe /silent /folder="c:\test folder\irfanview"
iview420_setup.exe /silent /folder="c:\test folder\irfanview" /desktop=1 /thumbs=1 /group=1 /allusers=0 /assoc=1 /ini="%APPDATA%\irfanview"
iview420_setup.exe /silent /folder="c:\test folder\irfanview" /ini="c:\temp"
folder: destination folder; if not indicated: old IrfanView folder is used, if not found, the "Program Files" folder is used
desktop: create desktop shortcut; 0 = no, 1 = yes (default: 0)
thumbs: create desktop shortcut for thumbnails; 0 = no, 1 = yes (default: 0)
group: create group in Start Menu; 0 = no, 1 = yes (default: 0)
allusers: desktop/group links are for all users; 0 = current user, 1 = all users
assoc: if used, set file associations; 0 = none, 1 = images only, 2 = select all (default: 0)
assocallusers: if used, set associations for all users (Windows XP only)
ini: if used, set custom INI file folder (system environment variables are allowed)
- irfanview_plugins_420_setup.exe /silent
- iv_uninstall.exe /silent
- Q: I am an administrator. How can I set some options to be fixed, like toolbar buttons, file browsing, file delete etc. ?
A: In the global INI file (located in the IrfanView folder), you can set some Admin values in correct INI sections:
1) Fixed toolbar buttons:
Admin_Flag = value
(which will be used instead of the normal "Flag" value)
2) Disable deleting of single files:
Admin_EnableDelete = 0 or 1
(1 means: deleting enabled (default); 0 means: deleting disabled)
3) Disable file browsing:
Admin_ViewAll= 0 or 1
(which will be used instead of the normal "ViewAll" value from: properties->browsing->view all files)
- Q: I am an administrator. How can I set which save formats should be offered in the save/save-as dialog?
A: In the global INI file (located in the IrfanView folder), you can set some Admin values in correct INI sections:
Admin_SaveFormats = extension|extension|
Example for 2 formats:
Admin_SaveFormats = BMP|JPG|
NOTE: you can do that also in the local INI file (if the Admin option is not used), just use:
SaveFormats = extension|extension|
NOTE: If you leave the value text empty (no extensions), there save dialogs won't be used at all, so you can disable File->Save menus .
SaveFormats = |
or Admin_SaveFormats = |
- Q: I am an administrator. How can I set/update the IrfanView license for all users?
A: Insert the license (and/or other admin options from above) to the global INI file (located in the IrfanView folder) and distribute it.
1) If IrfanView is installed on a server, start IrfanView in admin mode and insert the license. It will be saved in the global INI file and used for all users.
2) If IrfanView is installed on local clients, start IrfanView in admin mode and insert the license. Distribute the global INI file, copy it to the IrfanView folder on local clients.
Here is an example of a minimal INI file (5 lines only) for the IrfanView folder:
Name=your license name