Credit portal




How do i report an untaxed vehicle

If you see a vehicle that you think has been abandoned, please report this online via our form.

Identifying an abandoned or nuisance vehicle

There is often a lot of confusion between an abandoned vehicle and a nuisance vehicle, but the only vehicles that the Council has a legal duty to remove are those vehicles that are abandoned.

A Nuisance vehicle may be:

    Poorly parked Causing an obstruction Involved in a residential parking dispute In need of repair Untaxed

An abandoned vehicle is usually:

    Untaxed Standing in the same place for a long time Damaged in some way (such as flat tyres, broken windows, crash damage or burnt out)

The Council does not have the power to:

    Remove nuisance vehicles unless they are in a dangerous condition. We do work with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Police in such cases if we need to. Deal with abandoned vehicles on private land. Deal with vehicles causing an obstruction. It should be reported to the Police on the Force Enquiry Line - simply dial 101. Deal with a vehicle that is untaxed but not abandoned. It can be reported to the DVLA online or by writing to your local DVLA Office and they have the powers to prosecute the registered keeper of the vehicle. You can find out how to report an untaxed vehicle on the Report an untaxed vehicle website.

How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

If you see a vehicle that you think has been abandoned, please report this online by clicking the button below or call the Abandoned Vehicle Helpline on 01626 215860 or the Environmental Hotline on 0800 328 6402.

What information do we need?

We need to have the following information when a vehicle is reported: -

    Name and contact details of informant Make of vehicle (e.g. Ford)
  • Model (e.g. Fiesta)
  • Registration
  • Colour
  • If the vehicle is taxed?
  • Condition of the vehicle (e.g. are the windows smashed)
  • Exact location (e.g. on junction of Forde Road and Brunel Road)

Unfortunately, the Council is unable to act on any report that has been made anonymously, as we need to be able to contact the informant for further information. We also do not proceed with any vehicle that still has valid road tax, until the tax has expired.

General information

The Council has a duty, under the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978 and it's amendment S.I. 2002 No. 746, to remove any vehicle that it considers to be abandoned on the public highway. Regardless of where the car has been dumped, the Council has to follow a proper procedure before removing / disposing of any vehicle it considers to be abandoned. The time for the process can range from immediate collection and 14 days depending on circumstances.

Category: Bank

Similar articles: