Credit portal




When do csa payments stop

when do csa payments stop

Re: WHEN DO YOU STOP PAYING CSA PYTS 2 years 4 months ago #26793

Hi Lillie.

Thank you for your post. My name is Sarah I am a Child Maintenance Options consultant.

The Child Support Agency (CSA) guidelines state that child maintenance is generally still paid while your son's other parent is still in receipt of Child Benefit payments and your son is aged under 16, or under 20 and in full-time non-advanced education.

When a child leaves full-time education in the summer, Child Benefit generally continues until the first week of September. For child maintenance purposes a child is anyone under 16, or someone between 16 and 20 who is not, or has ever been, married or in a civil partnership. Also, anyone aged 16 or 17 who is not in education, is not working and does not receive employment related benefits, is also defined as a child.

The definition of full-time education is more than 12 hours a week of study, on a course up to and including A level standard. Some examples of non-advanced education are:

O level, GCE, GCSE, A level, AS level

SCE Higher Grade or equivalent

GNVQ, NVQ levels 1 2 and 3

BTEC National Diploma

SCOTVEC National Certificate

Scottish Certificate of

6th Year Studies

Foundation Arts Course

Secretarial Course with GCSE entry


Hairdressing Courses

If your son were in advanced or higher education, he would no longer qualify for child maintenance. Some examples of advanced and higher education are:


NVQ level 4 and above





Teacher Training

The above list is not exhaustive, so if you have any further questions or if you would like to clarify the information above, you may wish to speak to the CSA directly. You can find contact details on any letter the CSA have sent to you. Or, you can find the right number here: .

To find out more about how Child Maintenance Options can help you and access to useful tools and forms online you can visit or if you would prefer a confidential chat you could call the Child Maintenance Options team on 0800 988 0988 (free from a landline).

We also have a sorting out separation web-app, it aims to make it much easier for separated parents to find the support they need, when and where they need it, and encourages parents to collaborate on a range of issues. The link is:

Category: Bank

Similar articles: