Credit portal




Steps to getting your first license: Teens 15–17 years old

you must report a collision to the dmv when

License requirements

To get your driver license, you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old.
  • Be a Washington resident (your license will show this address).
  • Successfully complete an approved driver training course.
    • Online and parent taught traffic safety education are not approved courses in Washington State. If your teen completes a course in another state it must meet Washington State minimum requirements.
  • Have your Washington State instruction permit for at least 6 months.
  • Not have been convicted of any traffic violations within 6 months of applying for the license.
  • Not have been convicted of any alcohol or drug offense while holding an instruction permit.

How to get your license

  1. Get an instruction permit .
  2. Complete at least 50 hours of driving practice (including 10 hours at night) with someone who’s been licensed for 5 years or more.
    • Resources for the person who supervises the driving practice:
      • Intermediate License logbook to record driving practice .
      • Washington Parent Guide to Teen Driving for tips on how to supervise.
      • Safe-Driving Agreement between parents and teens to establish safe-driving rules.
      • Resources listed at Teen driver safety .
  3. Pass the driving test at any Driver training and testing location .
  4. Decide if you would like to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor. Visit LifeCenter Northwest for more information.
  5. Get your license:
    • Online .
      • Have a WA photo instruction permit or WA photo ID card.
      • Your parent or guardian must be with you so they can give permission online for you to get your license.
      • Pay the licensing fee .
      • Print the receipt. It’s your temporary license. Since it doesn’t include your photo, you can’t use it as identification .
      • Your permanent license will have the same photo as your instruction permit. We’ll mail it to the address we have on file.
    • At a driver licensing office location . You’ll need to:
      • Show you’ve passed a traffic safety course.
        • If your driver training school didn’t submit an electronic course completion for you, bring the signed certificate they gave you.
        • If you don’t have your certificate and the school has closed, email us at or call 360.664.6692.
      • Bring a parent with you to the licensing office to sign the parental authorization form.
        • If you can’t bring a parent, have them fill out the Parental Authorization Affidavit form and have it notarized. You must bring the notarized form with you to the office.
      • Show proof of identity .
      • Provide your Social Security number, or sign a declaration if you don’t have one.
      • Pass a vision screening.
      • Have your photo taken, if necessary.
      • Pay the fees .

When you’ll get your license

  • You’ll get your temporary license:
    • Before you leave the driver licensing office. or
    • When you print your receipt

      after getting your license online.

  • We’ll mail you your permanent license within 7–10 days. If you don’t receive it within 30 days, please go to an office .

Intermediate license laws for teen drivers

If you’re under 18. you’ll be issued an intermediate driver license and must follow these laws:

  • Driving with Passengers
    • First 6 months. No passengers under 20 years old. except for immediate family members (spouse, child, stepchild, or siblings, both by birth and marriage).
    • Next 6 months. No more than 3 passengers under 20 years old who aren’t members of your immediate family.
  • Nighttime driving

    For the first 12 months. you can’t drive between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless you’re with a licensed driver 25 years or older. The only exceptions are driving for agricultural purposes and transporting farm products or supplies under the direction of a farmer as described in RCW 46.20.070 . No cell phones

    You aren’t permitted to use wireless devices while driving, even with a hands-free device. This includes talking on cell phones and sending or receiving text messages. You may only use a wireless device to report an emergency.

These restrictions won’t apply after you turn 18 years old.

Penalties for violations and accidents

  • First violation: Passenger and nighttime restrictions will apply until you’re 18. We’ll send a warning letter to you and your parent/guardian for the following:
    • Get a ticket for violating the restrictions.
    • Get a ticket for violating a rule of the road.
    • Are involved in an accident where:
      • You get a ticket or are determined to have caused the accident.
      • No one involved in the accident receives a ticket.
      • The cause of the accident can’t be determined.
      • Only your car was involved in the accident.
  • 2nd violation: License suspended for 6 months (or until you’re 18, whichever comes first). We’ll notify you and your parent/guardian before we take any suspension action.
  • 3rd violation: License suspended until you’re 18. We’ll notify you and your parent/guardian before we take any suspension action.

Note: We don’t determine who caused an accident. If you’d like a copy of your collision report, contact the Washington State Patrol records division at 360.570.2355.

Warning letters and penalties until age 18

Once you’ve driven safely for 1 year the passenger and nighttime driving restrictions expire, but the other violations will apply until you’re 18.

Frequently asked questions

Do I have to get a new license when I turn 18?

No, the intermediate driver license automatically becomes a regular driver license.

How do police enforce the intermediate license laws?

They enforce them as a “secondary action.” This means that if a teen driver is stopped for a traffic offense, the officer can cite the driver for any violations of intermediate license restrictions.

If I have a drug or alcohol-related offense or Minor in Possession (MIP), can I get my intermediate license?

If I have a license from another state, do the intermediate license laws apply to me?

Category: Bank

Similar articles: