How to Apply for a Section 8 Voucher
KCHA's Section 8 waiting list is closed. We chose 2,500 applicants for the current list by a random lottery drawing in March 2015. Learn more about the lottery process or check your status on the waiting list .
Your household must also:
- Meet one of KCHA's housing selection preferences. You must be homeless, live in substandard-condition housing, pay more than 50 percent of your household income on rent and utilities, or have household income at or below 30 percent of AMI for your family size (see chart above).
- Have at least one family member under the age of 18, elderly or disabled. Single, non-disabled adults younger than age 62 do not qualify.
- Be citizens — or non-citizens with eligible immigration status.
- Not owe money to KCHA or any
- Not currently live in subsidized housing.
- Not have a criminal record that KCHA believes could affect the health, safety, or welfare of other tenants or its employees.
KCHA does not take Section 8 applications year-round. You can only apply during a specified two-week period prior to a random lottery drawing. We will only add you to the waiting list if we select your application through this random drawing. Learn more about the lottery process.
Other housing authorities in Washington and across the country may have open Section 8 waiting lists. You can view a list of these openings on the Affordable Housing Online website.
KCHA does not provide temporary housing, but many other agencies do. Learn how to find emergency housing .Source: www.kcha.org