How to Apply for Victim Compensation
The California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP) can help victims of violent crimes that occur in California as well as California residents who become victims while visiting other states or outside the country. Additionally, people such as family members who need assistance because of death or injury to a crime victim may also be eligible for compensation. For more information, visit the CalVCP page .
Get Help from a Victim Advocate
An advocate from your local Victim Witness Assistance Program can help you fill out your application and personally guide you through the victim compensation process. Victim advocates can also:
- get you emergency food, clothing, and shelter
- help you file a temporary restraining order
- attend court hearings with you to offer support and information
- refer you to other resources
Victim advocates provide their services for free.
Complete Your Own Application
Each person seeking assistance must complete a separate application.
- Section 1 of the application is for information about the person who has expenses or is seeking assistance.
- Section 2 is for information about the crime victim.
- Section 3 is for parents, guardians or others who are legally responsible for the person seeking assistance and who are filling out the application on their behalf.
Additional forms and/or verification documents may be required, including when requesting
an emergency award, relocation assistance or compensation for income loss.
Eligibility of all applications and payment of every bill is subject to legal requirements and review by CalVCP.
On Your Computer
- Open the application
- Enter your information.
- Save a copy to your computer by selecting File > Save.
- Print a copy, sign it and date it.
- Send your application to the address below.
This version of the application has helpful pull-down lists and choices provided for you. It is filled out completely using your computer, then printed and signed in ink. Do not print this form empty and fill it out by hand.
This version of the application is printed first and then completed by hand using a pen. It does not contain helpful pull-down lists and choices.
The completed application must be signed and dated where indicated and mailed to:
Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board
P.O. Box 3036
Sacramento, CA 95812-3036
To protect your privacy, do not transmit applications or other confidential CalVCP information via e-mail.
Get Your Claim Processed Faster
These application forms are in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). To use the PDF files you need Adobe Reader version 6 or later. If you don't already have free Adobe Reader software, you can download Adobe's Acrobat Reader here .Source: www.vcgcb.ca.gov