Credit portal




Pennsylvania Unemployment Calculator

how long do unemployment benefits last in pennsylvania

Calculate your projected benefit by filling quarterly wages earned below:

Recent Questions

To apply for Pennsylvania unemployment benefits click here

The most recent figures for Pennsylvania show an unemployment rate of 5.3%.

Non-Monetary Eligibility Requirements

You can collect benefits if you meet a series of legal eligibility requirements:

  • Have earned qualifying wages
  • Are unemployed through no fault of their own,
  • Are able and obtainable to work full-time and
  • Are keenly looking for full-time work

In addition to having adequate earnings, you must meet other eligibility benefits to be entitled for UI benefits. Some instances of issues that may influence eligibility for UI benefits comprise:

  • Reason for job separation
  • Proper weekly claim filing
  • School attendance
  • Self employment or corporate offices
  • Strike or labor disputes
  • Denial of a job offer
  • Alien status
  • School employee
  • Illness or injury
  • Professional athlete

More details on UI eligibility can be found in the unemployment eligibility article.

Monetary Eligibility Requirements

Qualifying Wages:

You must have worked at least two calendar quarters of your Base period, and have enough wages. Under the present Law, you may be eligible monetarily if you were paid wages in covered employment of at least $858.00 in the calendar quarter of your period in which your wages were the maximum and your total base period wages were no less than one and a half times the wages paid in that highest quarter.

For more information on Base Period and monetary determination refer unemployment eligibility article.

How long will I receive benefits:

Usually, most states permit an individual to obtain unemployment for a maximum of 26 weeks, or half the benefit the benefit year. A few states have standardized benefit duration, while most have different durations depending upon the worker. In a state with varied duration, it is probable that the benefit year may include less than 26 payable weeks.

The calculation is normally which us smaller: 26xWBA or 1/3 BPW. WBA is the Weekly Benefit Amount, so 26xWBA would be the regular week program. 1/3 BPW refers to the Base Period Wages, so if a person did not succeed to earn more than 3 times the standard benefit amount, they will be suitable for fewer weeks of coverage.

How much weekly benefit will I receive:

You can guess your Potential Benefits Online. Your weekly benefit amount and the number of weeks of entitlement to benefits are based on the wages you were paid and amount of time you worked during your base period. The weekly benefit amount is calculated by dividing the sum of the wages earned during the highest quarter of the base period by 26, rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. The result cannot exceed the utmost weekly benefit permitted by rule.

The base period is the term used to describe the time frame used as the basis for deciding whether or not you will be monetarily eligible for unemployment.

How are Benefits Calculated:

Once you make out how the unemployment are calculated, you will have a fair idea of how much you could receive per week or per benefit period if you were to lose your job. This is significant when you think taking unemployment or searching another job.

Unemployment is computed and one half of what your weekly pay was at the time of the discharge up to your state's maximum benefit. You will have to verify with your state's unemployment office to see what the highest payout for your state is. For further details refer unemployment benefits article.

Recently Asked Questions:

What are the new registration requirements after I file my application for benefits?

You must register for employment search services with the Pennsylvania Careerlink® system within 30 days after you file your application for benefits. If you are not already registered, create a Keystone ID and Password, using your complete Social Security number. Use your Keystone ID and Password. If you previously created a Keystone ID and Password, login and update your information to include your complete Social Security number and all applicable information.

I am currently in another state, do the registration requirements affect me?

Yes. You must register for employment search services in your local labor market in that state within thirty days after your Pennsylvania application for benefits is filed, but you must also register in the Pennsylvania CareerLink® system by the same deadline.

How do I request to receive my benefits by debit card?

You do not need to sign up to receive your payments via debit card. If you do not have direct deposit, a debit card will be mailed to you automatically after you have been determined financially eligible for benefits.

What should I do if I receive a UC payment for a week that I am working?

If you believe that a benefit payment was issued to you improperly or in the wrong amount, contact the UC office immediately.

If I run out of unemployment compensation benefits, would I qualify for extended benefits?

On June 30, 2008, President Bush signed a federal extension of UC benefits – Emergency Unemployment Compensation, or EUC, and the program began paying benefits to eligible workers beginning with the week ending July 12, 2008.

What should I do if I’m unable to get through to the UC service center via telephone?

Each UC service center is open from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and Sundays 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mondays are traditionally a heavy call day. Customers who wish to apply or claim

UC benefits are encouraged to file online, or call the UC service center later in the day and later in the week, if possible, when call volume is lighter.

During times of high call volume, a call back system may be in place. If you would like a return call, you must enter your Social Security number and the telephone number where you can be reached. Calls are returned from 7 a.m. to 9:45 p.m. Sunday through Friday. The UC service center telephone system utilizes line blocking or caller ID block. Callers who have anonymous call rejection activated on their telephones must deactivate this service to receive return calls from the UC service center.

I was told by my employer that I may be furloughed or laid off intermittently during the next several months. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

To be eligible for UC benefits, you must meet certain requirements, including the following: First, you must have sufficient wages in the base year. The base year is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters preceding the application for benefits. Second, you must have been unemployed through no fault of your own. Generally, the reason for your separation from employment will determine whether this requirement is met. This decision is based on the information you supply when you file your application for benefits and information collected from your former employer. Third, you must maintain eligibility on a week-to-week basis. For example, you must be able and available for work.

If your hours of work have been reduced or you otherwise continue to work less than your normal full-time work week, you may be eligible for partial benefits.

Will receiving a pension make me ineligible for UC benefits?

When filing for unemployment compensation (UC) benefits, you are required to report all pensions, including retirement, retired pay, annuities or other similar periodic payments and lump-sum pension payments. Pension and retirement payments are deducted from UC benefits if a base year employer maintained or contributed to the pension plan and if the base year employment affected your eligibility for, or increased the amount of, the pension. If the base year employer alone contributed to the pension, 100 percent of the prorated, weekly amount of the pension is deductible. If you contributed in any amount to the pension, 50 percent of the prorated, weekly pension amount is deductible. Pensions are deductible from weekly benefits on a dollar-for-dollar basis. The partial benefit credit is not applicable.

A lump-sum pension payment is not deducted from UC, unless you had the option of taking a monthly pension. In addition, a lump-sum pension is not deductible if you "roll over" the lump sum into an eligible retirement plan such as an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) within 60 days of receipt.

Social Security and Railroad Retirement pensions are not deducted from UC benefit payments.

May I collect UC benefits while attending school?

The PA UC Law does not disqualify you for benefits simply because you are a full or part-time student. Additionally, you will not be ineligible for any claim week that you are in training approved by the secretary of the Department of Labor & Industry and are otherwise eligible.

You may not be eligible for UC benefits if you quit your job to enroll in an academic credit training program. There is no requirement that you must be available for full-time or permanent work. Your work history can be full-time, part-time, or seasonal. However, you must not refuse suitable work when offered. You may also be ineligible if you refuse a referral to a job opportunity.

A claimant is ineligible if a claimant's limitation on availability for employment effectively removes the claimant from the local labor market. For you to be ruled ineligible, it must be because the particular limitation on your availability is such that a search for employment in the local labor market would have an unreasonable low possibility of success. For example, a claimant must be able and available for the majority of the workweek.

You may also be ineligible for benefits if you fail to participate in reemployment services to which you have been referred through the claimant profiling system. You may also be ineligible for benefits if you fail to be available to be contacted by the UC service center when instructed to do so. It is your responsibility to inform the UC service center when you are unavailable for scheduled services. When you know that you will be unavailable to be contacted at the scheduled time, call the UC service center immediately.

I don’t have regular Internet access. How can I request a printed copy of the PA UC Handbook?

You can request a printed copy of the PA UC Handbook by calling the UC service center toll free at 888-313-7284, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Sundays 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

What is the PREP program and why must I attend?

The Profile Reemployment Program (PREP) is Pennsylvania’s version of the federally mandated Worker Profiling and Reemployment Service system. PREP is designed to identify claimants who are most likely to exhaust unemployment compensation (UC) benefits and may need assistance to find a new job.

You may be ineligible for benefits for any week in which you fail to participate in reemployment services to which you have been referred through PREP. If selected, you must participate in this mandatory program unless there is justifiable reason for your failure to participate. If you receive a letter to attend a PREP orientation and you are not able to do so, you must call the PA CareerLink® office shown on the letter to discuss your availability.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: