Credit portal





how many college credits do i have

Transfer Course Basics

Q: What courses will be accepted as transfer credit by UMD?

A: Generally, college-level courses completed at regionally-accredited institutions will transfer, provided the course is similar in scope, content and level to courses offered at UMD and a grade of "C-" or higher is earned. Grades of "D-" or higher are accepted for courses completed at Maryland public institutions. Regional accrediting bodies include the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; New England Association of Schools and Colleges; North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

A maximum of 60 credits from 2-year institutions can be applied to degree requirements at UMD. No more than 90 credits can be applied to degree requirements from a combination of 2-year institutions, 4-year institutions and prior learning credits. Students are required to complete at least their final 30 credits at UMD to earn a degree.

Q: How do I transfer credits to UMD?

A: To get your most recent transfer coursework posted to your UMD record, you must submit an official sealed transcript to:

Records and Registration Services

1113 Mitchell Building

College Park, MD 20742

Current UMD students who are considering taking a course at another institution must obtain permission from their academic advising college prior to enrolling in the class. Failure to obtain permission may result in the course not being accepted by UMD or applied to degree requirements. Please visit for additional information regarding this process.

Q: How many credits will UMD allow me to transfer?

A: The UMD does not restrict the number of transfer courses that are accepted. However, the number of credits that are applicable toward degree requirements is limited based on the source of the transfer credits.
  • A maximum of 60 credits from 2-year institutions can be applied to degree requirements at UMD.
  • A maximum of 90 credits can be applied to degree requirements from a combination of 2-year institutions, 4-year institutions and prior learning credits.

A: The UMD awards the standard .67 semester credits per quarter credit hour of study. A 3 credit course from a quarter school will be awarded 2 credits at UMD. Your College advisor will work with you to determine how your transfer credits are applied toward degree requirements.

A: UMD will convert your units to semester credits based on the number of units required to earn a degree at your previous school.

A: Although your grades from transfer courses are used in making decisions for admission to the University, entry into a Limited Enrollment Program (LEP), and for satisfying degree requirements, grades from transfer courses are not used in the calculation of your GPA at UMD. The transfer courses UMD accepted and applied toward your degree requirements will appear on your UMD official transcript, but the grades you received in these courses will not. Grades for all transfer courses will appear on your unofficial UMD transcript via Testudo .

Q: Can I get credit for courses that were taken PASS/FAIL?

A: The UMD will award credit when it can be determined that the grade earned is at least a "C-" grade.

Q: What if the course at my previous institution is more or fewer credits than the equivalent course at UMD?

A: The semester credit hours earned at your transfer institution are the number of credits you will receive at UMD. If you took a 5 semester credit calculus course that equates to MATH140 at UMD, you will receive 5 semester credits for this course. If you took a 3 semester credit economics course that equates to ECON200 at UMD, you will receive 3 semster credits for this course, even though at UMD ECON200 is worth 4 credits. The important thing to remember is it is how the course was taken. We do however apply a multiplier of .67 to all credits earned under a quarter system, thus a 4 quarter credit course at any institution will be worth 2.67 semester hours at UMD.

A: Typically, courses taken 10 or more years ago that meet the scope, content and level of courses offered at UMD will receive elective transfer credit. The evaluation of courses taken 10 or more years ago, to determine if they will satisfy general education or major requirements will occur on an individual basis. Your advising college will assist you in determining which courses may apply to your general education and major requirements. For the courses that you would like to have evaluated toward general educaition or equated to a specific UMD course, you will need to provide a detailed syllabus for the course from when the course was taken. If you do not have the syllabus, you can try contacting the department that offered the course at your previous institution to see if they still have the syllabus on file. If not, you will need to provide the closest syllabus possible to when the course was taken. It is important to note that if the course ID and/or title have changed, you may be asked to provide additional information regarding any changes to the course content that may also occured. The syllabus for a course completed more than 10 years ago should be sent directly to the department that oversees the subject matter. Once the course has been evaluated, the department will need to send the evaluation to Transfer Credit Services at for processing. The syllabus should include the courseID, course title, course description, textbook titles, list of grades assignments and the course schedule. In some cases, the course will only be able to be granted a particular category for previous coursework, not an exact equivalency. Remember: If you are in a major that requires a solid foundation in recent developments (e.g. Biology, Computer Science or Engineering), it may be to your advantage to repeat the introductory level courses, even though you will lose transfer credit. Contact your advisor to discuss what courses you may need to repeat.

A: Please refer to International Credits for detailed information regarding the process for evaluating international transfer credits.

A: Effective July 16, 2013, the UMD implemented a new policy to award active duty and former service members in the United States Armed Forces six credits of lower-level general elective credits. The credits are awarded for the completion of basic physical fitness and basic military science as part of basic military training for the United States Armed Forces. The UMD only awards transfer credit for courses that fall within the level, scope and content offered at the University. Since many courses on military transcripts are occupational in nature they are not accepted by the University of Maryland. The only credits that will be awarded based on the military transcript you provide are for basic military training as outlined on Prior Learning Credit webpage. Please visit for the complete policy, how to qualify and list of required documentation. We do not award credit based on ACE or Dantes recommendations. The UMD does not award credit for non-traditional or experiential learning not supervised by our own faculty. Examples include internships, externships, practicua, or co-op work. Nor does the University transfer credits awarded at other institutions for such work. In some instances, students are encouraged to complete a departmental credit-by-exam or attempting to earn credit through the CLEP (College-Level Examination Program).

A: Students who have been admitted to UMD should contact an academic advisor in their declared major for assistance. Other helpful resources are the advising college's website, Four Year Plans for Academic Majors. and the Undergraduate Catalog. Please note Transfer Credit Services is not able to provide academic advising services..

A: If you are wanting to request an official UMD transcripts be sent to

another institution, an employer or to yourself use the University's Online Transcript Request. Your request may be submitted via this website or you can print out the form and send it via fax, email or US mail at:

University of Maryland

Transfer Credit LogoTestudoMy UM Logo

Office of the Registrar

First Floor Mitchell Building

Fax: 301-314-9568

You may check the status of your request online at or by calling 301 314-8240. Most requests go out within 24-48 hours.

Q: I would like to take courses away from UMD. Why/when do I need a "Permission To Enroll" form to do this?

A: All current UMD students are required to obtain permission from their advising college to take courses away from UMD. Failure to obtain permission prior to enrolling in courses away from UMD may result in the course not being accepted for transfer by UMD and/or applied to degree requirements. For additional information, visit the Permission to Enroll page on the Office of the Registrar's webiste.

Transfer Course Evaluation Questions

A: The transfer evaluation process can be a time consuming process and your record can continue to be updated throughout your first semester at UMD. Your advisor will assist you with determining how your transfer courses are applied to your degree requirements. They may recommend you request some of your courses be evaluated for transfer. To request a course be evaluated for transfer, please follow the instructions listed at It is important for you to continue to look at your unofficial transcript during this time to see the changes that have occured to your record.

A: No. Academic advisors you meet with at Orientation will have access to the most updated version of your transfer record available to them on their computer. However, it is recommended that you bring an unofficial transcript from your transfer institution with any courses listed that have yet to be posted to your UMD unofficial transcript. This will help advisors to know what additional transfer courses you are expecting. Make sure to have a final official transcript sent to UMD upon completion of your final semester at that institution.This transcript should be sent to:

University of Maryland

1113 Mitchell Building

Q: Should I be concerned if some of my transfer courses have been awarded credit but nothing appears next to them on my unofficial transcript?

A: In most cases no. However, as courses that have not previously been evaluated for transfer to UMD are reviewed, some courses may be deemed as not acceptable for transfer. These courses are typically pre-collegiate, remedial, vocational, professional, technical or religious in nature and do not fall within the level, scope and content of courses offered at UMD. Other types of courses that typically are not awarded transfer credits are internships, independent study and research. Although some of your courses may appear "blank", it means the courses have not yet been evaluated for transfer to UMD. Please follow the instructions on the Transfer Credit Evaluation Process webpage to request the courses be evaluated. Please note if the course is only going to count as an elective toward your major, there is no need to request the course be evaluated. As the evaluation process progresses, you may see footnotes PE (pending evaluation) and NS (needs syllabus) appear to let you know the status of the course being evaluated.

A: Make sure that you have sent your most recent transcripts of ALL college work to UMD. If you have done this and you see that the most recent semester seems to be missing, contact Records and Registration Services at to have them investigate and correct it.

Q: It looks like they skipped over adding some of my courses in my evaluation.

A: This is probably just an error. Contact Records and Registration Services at to have them investigate and correct the matter.

Q: It says "NS" (Needs Syllabus) or "PE" (Pending Evaluation) next to some of my courses on my UMD unofficial transcript. Why?

A: The NS note means the department is requiring a detailed syllabus for the course to be evaluated for transfer. Please review the Transfer Evaluation Process for the steps required to request a course be evaluated for transfer. The PE note means the course is currently being reviewed by the academic department who oversees the course content. Once the evaluation has been returned to us, this will be updated on your record. Please note there are occassions when the evaluator will require additional information for a course evaluation to be completed. In these cases, the note could be changed from PE to NS.

Q: There are some notes I don't understand underneath a few of my courses. What do they mean?

A: You can click on the code for a key to be displayed that explains footnotes and general education codes. If you still have questions about the meaning of the note, please contact your advisor.

Q: What do I do if I'm about to arrive at orientation and some of my courses are not evaluated? Is there anything I should do to speed the evaluation along?

A: While every effort will be made to provide you with the most complete evaluation possible by the time you arrive for orientation and registration, it is common for there to be some courses that are still pending evaluation or in need of a syllabus. Your advisor will still be able to help you register for the proper courses.

A: Speak to your College advisor. He or she may ask for some documentation to forward to Transfer Credit Services We will work with your advisor to correct the problem as quickly as possible.

A: In general, courses from academic institutions of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting association will transfer; provided that the course is completed with at least a grade of C- and fall within the level scope and content of courses at UMD. Credit is posted to the UMD record only from official transcripts sent from the institution at which the credit was completed. A separate transcript MUST be sent from each school attended. If you have earned credit through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced Level/Advanced Subsidiary Level (A-Level) or the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), you must have your scores sent directly from the testing board, even if they are already posted on a transcript from another institution. Transfer courses may not be awarded credit at UMD for several reasons. These courses are typically pre-collegiate, remedial, vocational, professional, technical or religious in nature and do not fall within the level, scope and content of courses offered at UMD. Other types of courses that typically are not awarded transfer credits are internships, independent study and research.

A: ALL appeals regarding course evaluations should be directed in writing to the academic department that oversees the subject matter of the course. In many cases a syllabus has already been reviewed to determine the course evaluation. It may be necessary to meet with the evaluator and/or provide additional documentation such as assignments, papers and examinations for the evaluator to reconsider their initial evaluation of the course. Once a decision is reached, the evaluator must send an email to Transfer Credit Services at with the details so the students record and database can be updated accordingly. The following will assist with streamlining the appeal process: Put your name and UID on the materials you're sending in for review. Make sure the name of the institution and the course ID at that institution are clearly listed on the materials you are providing. Be sure to retain a copy of everything you submit for evaluation before you turn it in.

Who to Contact for Additional Assistance

Category: Credit

Similar articles: