Credit portal




How much benefits can i claim

how much benefits can i claim

The Standard Base Period

This is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to the beginning date of the UI claim.

The Alternate Base Period

This the last four completed calendar quarters prior to the beginning date of the claim.

The Alternate Base Period can only be used to file a UI claim when there are not enough wages earned in the Standard Base Period to file a monetarily valid UI claim, and there are enough wages in the Alternate Base Period.

If you do not have sufficient wages, the EDD will automatically consider whether you have enough wages using the Alternate Base Period.

What You Need to Know

  • Payments range from a minimum of $40 to a maximum of $450 a week.
  • You may receive benefits for up to 26 weeks depending on your past quarterly earnings.
  • You can call the automated self-service number to check information about your most recent Unemployment Insurance benefit payment.
    • Gather your Social Security number and 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) to use this service.
    • The Automated Self-Service is available in

      English and Spanish at 1-866-333-4606.

    • The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. EDD recommends calling after 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, or on weekends.
  • Your claim will be effective on the Sunday prior to the date you file.
  • All claims have a one-week, unpaid waiting period.

Extended Benefits

If an individual has exhausted all unemployment benefits and he or she has a current benefit year, he or she may be eligible for Extended Benefits (EB) if available.

As of December 28, 2013, the federal unemployment extension program has ended. This means that the state of California no longer offers Extended Benefits. The Employment Development Department continues to carefully monitor this situation in Washington D.C. for any further news.

To keep up to date with this matter, visit:

Taxable Income

Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits are considered taxable income. This employer-paid tax is taxable for federal purposes, but not taxable by the State of California.

Every year, EDD sends a Form 1099-G, which includes the total unemployment insurance benefits paid during the prior year. You should receive this form by mid-February for your taxes.

For questions, call EDD at 1-800-795-0193 or visit the IRS Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income at:

Category: Credit

Similar articles: