Credit portal




Fees and financial support

how much is a maintenance loan

2014 Entry - UK/EU Undergraduate finance

Alternative/additional information on this topic applies to:

This support is not available to:

and students who already hold a degree-level or equivalent qualification

Student Loans and grants

A variety of student loans and grants are available from the Government through the Student Loans Company. Loans are repaid after you have left the University and your salary exceeds a set level. Grants do not have to be repaid.

The support available to you via loans and grants depends on your tuition fee (for the fee loan), household income and other personal circumstances.

Tuition Fee Loan

The Tuition Fee Loan covers the payment of your tuition fees, and is not based on your household income. You can borrow up to £9,000 to cover the tuition fee set by your university. Unlike the Maintenance Loan and Grant, the tuition fee loan is paid directly to the

University you are studying at.

Maintenance Loan and Grant

In addition to the Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fee, you can choose to take out a maintenance loan which is intended to help pay your living costs. You may also be eligible for a non-repayable Maintenance Grant. The amounts you are eligible to borrow and claim per academic year are based on your household income.

Maintenance Loan

65% of the Maintenance Loan is available regardless of your household income. The remaining 35% depends on household income. Refer to the table below for details.

The entire Maintenance Grant is means tested based on your household income. Students with household incomes of £25,000 or less will receive the full Maintenance Grant of £3,387 per year.

The table below shows the total support you will be entitled to depending on your household income. It also shows what proportion of that is non-repayable and what proportion is a repayable loan.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: