Credit portal




How old to claim benefits

how old to claim benefits


Best Answer: I don't know if you would be eligible. Unless he kept you in as beneficiary or something. My aunt was cut from her husband's (still married) retirement the minute he died.

However, if you were married more than ten years you would be eligible for your portion of his Social Security when you reach 62 (or 65) and are eligible yourself. Don't know if you can draw both his & yours though, and you might be better off with your own anyway.

How divorce affects your future retirement benefits:

If you are divorced after at least 10 years of marriage, you can collect retirement benefits on your former spouse's Social Security record if you are at least age 62 and if your former spouse is entitled to or receiving benefits. If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce, or annulment).

How divorce affects survivors benefits:

If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or more. Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving


How remarriage affects survivors benefits:

In general, you cannot receive survivors benefits if you remarry before the age of 60 unless the latter marriage ends, whether by death, divorce, or annulment. If you remarry after age 60 (50 if disabled), you can still collect benefits on your former spouse’s record. When you reach age 62 or older, you may get retirement benefits on the record of your new spouse if they are higher. Your remarriage would have no effect on the benefits being paid to your children.

How retirement affects survivors benefits:

If you are collecting survivors benefits, you can switch to your own retirement benefits (assuming you are eligible and your retirement rate is higher than the widow/widower's rate) as early as age 62. In many cases, you can begin receiving retirement benefits either on your own or your spouse’s record at age 62 and then switch to the other benefit when you reach full retirement age, if that amount is higher.

The rules vary depending on your situation, so you should talk to a Social Security representative at 1-800-772-1213 or, for the deaf and hard of hearing, our toll-free "TTY" number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: