Credit portal




Ohio Unemployment Benefits

how to apply for ohio unemployment benefits

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?

Did you earn at least $ 4400 in the base period in

question icontv iconphone iconrooter iconOhio-logo

Recent Questions

Ohio Unemployment Questions

How to file an appeal

If you disagree with an initial decision, you may file a written appeal with ODJFS within 21 calendar days of the date the determination was issued. Include your social security number, the date and determination identification number with which you disagree, and the reason(s) for your disagreement.

You may file your appeal online at between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. daily, by mail or fax with the ODJFS processing center identified on your determination, or with any ODJFS claims processing center.

If you disagree with the redetermination, you may file a written appeal to the UCRC within 21 calendar days of the date the redetermination was issued. Include your social security number, the date of the determination with which you disagree, the reason(s) for your disagreement, and, if you are employed during the day and desire a telephone hearing during nonworking hours, the hours you are available for a hearing.

If you disagree with the commission-level decision, you may file a notice of appeal with the common pleas court of the Ohio county where you reside or were last employed. Appeals must be filed within 30 calendar days of the mailing date of the commissionlevel decision. If your appeal is filed after 30 days, the court of common pleas will determine the timeliness of your appeal in accordance with Ohio Revised Code, Section 4141.282 (l). In your notice of appeal, you must include all interested parties listed on the commission-level decision(s), including the director of ODJFS. Be sure to identify the decision being appealed.

If you disagree with the decision of the common pleas court, you may appeal your case further, as in civil cases.

What are some reason that you might need to file an unemployment appeal?

  1. You feel like you did not receive the full amount of your unemployment benefits.
  2. You feel like you were treated unfairly or discriminated against. You feel like you were denied for unemployment benefits inappropriately.
  3. You feel like your employer is trying to block you from receiving unemployment benefits when you are legitimately entitled and eligible to receive them.
  4. You think that your unemployment benefits ran out too soon.
  5. You believe that your unemployment application was incorrectly or unfairly judged or handled.

The staff of the Ohio unemployment offices are very diligent and professional counselors who genuinely want to help you, but sometimes mistakes are made. If you feel like something has gone wrong during your unemployment case that has affected the benefits that you receive, you can file a Ohio unemployment appeal in order to have your case reviewed. Do this as soon as possible. Do not let too much time pass, or it may be too late.

How to Report Ohio Unemployment Fraud?


If you want to know how to report unemployment fraud, you must first be sure that someone is committing unemployment fraud. In the state of Ohio it is a crime to knowingly collect unemployment benefits that you are not eligible to receive, and this is considered unemployment fraud. BUT, it is very important to note that IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO WORK WHILE YOU ARE COLLECTING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS.

You are able to work at a job and make a certain amount of money while still collecting unemployment benefits. When you apply for unemployment, this amount will be determined, and how this works will be explained to you by your unemployment counselor.

If you suspect someone of committing unemployment fraud, think long and hard before you report them. Unless you are 100% certain, you may be wrong, and you may end up reporting someone who is not committing a crime. If you falsely report someone for committing unemployment fraud, you yourself could possibly be committing a crime called 'Falsely Reporting a Crime'.

If you are 100% sure that someone is committing unemployment fraud, you can report them by contacting your local unemployment office - but make sure you are 100% correct.

How to Reopen an Existing Ohio Unemployment Claim

It may become necessary for you to reopen an existing Ohio unemployment claim if you suspend or cancel your unemployment because you found a job, and then later became unemployed again.

Generally, you can reopen an existing unemployment claim by simply filing a weekly certifcation online or by phone -- just like you did every week when you receiving unemployment previously.

In some cases, it may be necessary to speak to an unemployment counselor or start the process all over again in order to reopen an existing unemployment claim in Ohio. If this is the case, contact your unemployment counselor to get exact instructions on how to proceed.

How to Cancel Ohio Unemployment

When you find a new job you can no longer receive Ohio unemployment benefits and may need to officially cancel your Ohio unemployment.

In order to cancel your unemployment claim, you can:

  1. Call, send a letter, or email to your unemployment counselor letting them know that you have found a new job.
  2. Stop filing your weekly certification.

If you happen to receive an unemployment check while you are working, make sure to call your unemployment counselor to let them know. You may need to return the check - but this will be better than any possible penalties that you could be responsible for if you are found to be recieving unemployment benefits while working.

Federal income tax withholding

When you file for benefits, you are asked if you would like taxes withheld from your unemployment compensation check at the rate of 10 percent for federal income taxes only. ODJFS will send you a 1099 form by January 31 of the year after you were paid benefits.

Receiving unemployment insurance payment

It may take up to four weeks from the date you file your initial claim to receive the first payment. The earliest your payment may be issued is during the third week. Once payment starts, your payments are normally made every two weeks. If you have chosen to receive correspondence electronically, payments are made weekly.

Part-time jobs pay and unemployment benefits

If you work part-time or perform odd jobs during weeks for which you file for unemployment benefits, you may still be paid unemployment benefits if your gross earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount. You must report gross earnings for the week (Suday through Saturday) in which they are earned, even if you have not yet been paid. If your earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount, Ohio law allows you an exemption of 20 percent of your weekly benefit amount before a deduction is made. An example of how this is computed appears below.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: