Credit portal




How to claim for benefits

how to claim for benefits


How to claim

This section gives you guidance on making a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support. Please contact us on 01372 732269 for help or advice if you are in any doubt about making a claim. We can give you advice or answer any questions you might have.

How to make a claim on behalf of someone else

If someone is unable to manage their affairs, they can appoint someone to act on their behalf.

This appointee is then responsible for everything relating to thar claim. This includes signing all forms and reporting changes of circumstance. Appointees have specific duties and may be liable, for example, for the repayment of any overpayments.

If a person would like an appointee to act for them, they must complete the authority form by following the link below.

Will I qualify for help?

If you are unsure about whether you will be entitled to any benefit or support, please try our calculator.

A maximum of four bedrooms can be considered in your Housing Benefit application, even if the size of your family would normally require you to need more than four bedrooms.  Check your Local Housing Allowance rate.

If you are under 35, please read the following leaflet to see if your benefit is restricted to the Shared Accommodation Rate . Link to Housing Benefit for those under 35 years old leaflet (pdf - 725kb) .

Please fill in the requested information on our calculatior.  It will give you an idea of whether you will qualify for assistance.  If you are unsure of the result then please contact us.

Please note, most full time students will not be eligible for benefit.  If you feel that you may qualify due to a disability or you have dependent children then please seek advice from our advisors.


think I'm eligible, what now?

For a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you will have to complete an application form.  If you claim Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance, the Job centre can complete a form with you whilst completing your claim with them.

You can download and print an application form below.

Please read our guidance notes for filling in the claim form, which are on the form itself.  If you have any further queries or you are unsure of anything to do with making your claim, please contact us on 01372 732269.

You will also need to provide evidence in support of your claim.  Some examples of the proofs required include: ID, pay slips, occupational pension, other benefits, tax credits, all your capital (bank statements, bond certificates,etc) rental liability (tenancy agreement).

If you send a form without the evidence required it will delay your claim.  We will not be able to process your claim without all the supporting evidence.  All evidence supplied in support of your claim must be in the form of original documentation.  We will not accept photocopies. Failure to provide all the requested information within the time limits may mean that you could lose benefit.

The claim form must be sent to:

The Benefit Section

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council

Town Hall

The Parade



When should I claim?

You should make your claim as soon as possible.  If you delay claiming, you may lose benefit.  If you do not have all the proofs, do not delay returning your claim form to us. You can provide proof at the earliest opportunity later.

Usually it will start from the Monday after we receive your claim form, or when you become eligible, if submitting your claim early.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: