Credit portal




How to freeze credit in california

how to freeze credit in california

How to obtain a security freeze

If a thief has stolen your personal information, they usually try to open new credit accounts or run up charges on existing accounts. When the bills aren't paid, you are the one holding the delinquent account, and that will negatively affect your credit report.

Placing a security freeze on your credit file is one deterrent against identity theft.

All Oregonians can place a security freeze on their credit file maintained by the three major national credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion. Once activated, someone who has fraudulently obtained your personal identifying information cannot open new accounts or borrow money. The freeze will also prevent lenders and others from gaining access to your credit report for review.

Before you freeze

Keep in mind that a security freeze will not prevent an identity thief from misusing existing credit cards and credit accounts. Click here for guidance if your credit cards have been stolen.

Before you decide to apply an optional freeze to your credit files, will you need to buy anything that would require a look at your credit history? For example, if you plan to get new mobile phone service, the credit company will need to

access your credit files to finalize the sale.

How to Obtain a Security Freeze
  • Depending on the credit reporting agency, you can request a freeze online, by phone, or by mail. If you request by mail, we have provided letters for you to use in a convenient Word fillable format. If you do not have Word, the letters are also available in a PDF version for you to print and fill out by hand. Note: If using the fillable version, fill out and print all three letters at the same time.
  • Allow five business days upon receipt of your request for the credit reporting agencies to place a security freeze on your credit file.
  • Expect a password or Personal Identification Number (PIN) in a confirmation letter from each of the credit reporting agencies, which, by law, must be sent within 10 days of placing the security freeze.

    Keep all documents relating to placing your security freeze. If you misplace or lose your assigned personal identification number (PIN), the credit reporting agencies can charge up to $10 to reissue or reassign a new PIN.


    By phone: 1-800-680-7289 (Press 3 then follow prompts)

    Category: Credit

    Similar articles:

  • Categories



    Follow Us


    Our Contacts