Credit portal




How to get a subsidized loan

how to get a subsidized loan

Things You'll Need

Bank and investment account statements


Gather your tax return and W-2 forms from last year and your current account statements for your bank account and investment accounts. If you are a dependent student, your parents need to provide all of these forms as well.

Go to the website for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (see Resources).

Fill out the FAFSA with your personal information and your parents' information if needed. Subsidized loans are awarded on the basis of financial need, so the application asks about your income and assets to determine whether you qualify for them.

Add the school code for your college or university to your application using the school code search tool in the application. If you are not yet enrolled, add the code for each school to which you are applying to send the FAFSA to all of their financial aid offices.

Go to the personal identification

number (PIN) website (see Resources) and request a PIN, which you will use to electronically sign your FAFSA. If your parents provided financial information, they will need to sign up for a PIN as well.

Submit your application as soon as possible after Jan. 1 of the calendar year in which the school year begins. If you will need the financial aid in the fall of 2012, apply as soon as possible after Jan. 1, 2012. Applying early gives you the best chance of receiving need-based financial aid, including subsidized loans, before the funds run out.

Call the financial aid office at the school you attend or the schools you are applying to and ask if they require any other forms to apply for financial aid. Fill out all required forms.

Read the financial aid award letter your school sends you. Accept all subsidized loans, and return a signed copy of the award letter to the financial aid office.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: