Credit portal




Unemployment benefits connecticut how much

unemployment benefits connecticut how much

The benefit year is the period in which you may be eligible to collect your maximum benefits. The year is composed by 52 weeks after your claim is effective. The year begins on the Sunday of the week you file your claim. If benefits are exhausted for the year, you must wait until the benefit year has ended.

Base Period

The base period is the 12-month period from which wages are used to calculate benefits. The wages during the 12-month period will determine your weekly benefit amount. The base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters.

Alternate Base Period

The alternate base period is the four calendar quarters immediately preceding the quarter in which the claim is filed.This period is only used when you do not have enough wages in the regular base period.

To determine if you have sufficient wage credits to establish a benefit year, you must have a total amount of base period earnings that equals or exceeds 40 times the weekly benefit rate.

If you work in more than one state, you can file a Combined Wage Claim. For more information on this matter, visit:

If you are a former federal civilian employee (UCFE),

you may use your federal wages to file a Connecticut claim. For more information, visit:

If you are ex-military, you may receive benefits under Connecticut law. For more information, visit:

Extended Benefits and Emergency Unemployment Compensation

The permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program adds another 13 to 20 weeks of unemployment compensation in periods of high unemployment. However, EB ended on December 28, 2013.

Connecticut created an Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program in June 2008 to provide additional weeks of unemployment compensation to the long-termed unemployed. Per federal legislation, all EUC benefits are also currently ceased.

For more information, please contact the Connecticut Department of Labor at 860-263-6000.

Unemployment insurance benefits are considered taxable income. You may voluntarily have taxes withheld for federal and Connecticut income. This can be requested when you file your claim or during your benefit year. An IRS 1099-G form will be mailed to your address on the next January, which will provide you with information to meet your federal, state and personal income tax needs. The form will indicate the dollar amount of benefits received during the preceding year and the amount of federal and state taxes withheld (if any). You can also obtain this form by visiting:

Category: Credit

Similar articles: