Credit portal





what are council tax benefits

Housing Benefit

You can claim Housing Benefit If you are on a low income and pay rent. If you make a new claim, your benefit will be based on the Local Housing Allowance for the area you live in.

Local Housing Allowance

All new Housing Benefit claims are based on a Local Housing Allowance rate and these are set by the Valuation Office each April.

Housing Benefit payment dates

A list of the dates that we will normally send fortnightly and 4 weekly Housing Benefit Payments either to your bank or landlord.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income and pay Council tax. If you are entitled, your council tax bill will be reduced.

Reporting Benefit Fraud

How you can help to stop people cheating the benefits system

Council Tax Discounts and Property Exemptions

There are a number of discounts that can reduce your Council Tax which are separate from Council Tax Reduction. Discounts are based on the circumstances of people living in the property for example single person discount. Exemptions are based on the property for example if the property is empty an exemption could apply. Some exemptions from council tax are based on who lives in the property for

example, members of a religious order.

Tell us of a Change in Your Circumstances

It is important that you tell us about any changes in your situation for example changes to your income, capital, rent and the people living with you. You can use our online form to tell us about changes.

Benefits Calculator

Find out if you might be entitled to housing benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

Please note: the calculator will give you an indication as to how much you could receive. Your actual entitlement will only be known when your claim has been worked out by the Benefits Service.

Other Benefits you can claim

There are other benefits that you can claim that can help if you are unemployed or disabled or on a low income. There are links to, the Government's website.

Information for Landlords and Advisers

General advice for landlords about the how housing benefit is calculated and paid.

Companies who charge for helping you claim benefits

There is no need for you to pay for this help. Wealden's Benefits Service will help you to make a claim or will tell you who can help. Any help or advice we give you is free, as is the help from organisations we can refer you to.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: