How do i apply for unemployment benefits
- File online at http://unemployment.ohio.gov. 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Service may be limited during nightly system updating. Check the website for available services. Please be sure to follow the instructions. If you do not have access to a computer, visit your local library or OhioMeansJobs Center where computers are available for public use. A list of OhioMeansJobs Centers can be found at: http://jfs.ohio.gov/owd/wia/wiamap.stm .
- Call toll-free 1-877-644-6562 or TTY 1-888-642-8203. (excluding holidays) Monday through Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
To apply for Unemployment Benefits, you will need:
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver's license or state ID number
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address
- Name, address, telephone number, and dates of employment with each employer you worked for during the past 6 weeks
- The reason you became unemployed from each employer
- Dependents' names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth
- If claiming dependents, your spouse's name, Social Security number, and birth date
- If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, alien registration number and expiration date
- Your regular occupation and job skills
You may also have to provide:
- Form DD-214, member 4 copy (for military service)
- SF-8 or SF-50 form (for federal government employment)
What happens when you call the toll-free number:
When you call the 1-877-644-6562 number, you will be asked to choose one of the following number options:
- Press #1 for assistance with unemployment applications.
- Press #2 if you are calling to file for weeks of benefits, for payment information, or to ask about the status of a previously filed claim.
- Press #3 if you are responding to a statement of overpayment you received in the mail or a notice of change in work-search requirements and are required to register for employment services.
- If you do not have a touch-tone phone, stay on the line and your call will be put through to a customer service representative.
Once your application has been filed:
- You will receive further information by mail or e-mail. E-mail will be sent from OJI@odjfs.state.oh.us.
- Your claim will be assigned to a Processing Center, based on the last four digits of the your Social Security number. Click here for a list of Processing Centers by Social Security number .
- If filing online and you need your Personal Identification Number (PIN) reset, please call toll-free 1-866-962-4064.