I'm moving into my first home, can I get help to buy a Cooker & other essentials?
The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has three schemes which may assist you with the cost of purchasing essential household items such as a Cooker or Fridge and other household items such as furniture. The scheme you apply to will depend on your personal circumstances, and are as follows:
- Applicant must be aged 16 years or above.
- Applicant does not need to be claiming any benefits.
- You may qualify for a crisis loan if you are unable to pay for basic living costs and this will be a serious risk to the health and safety of you or your family.
- You may qualify for a crisis loan if you are unable to pay for something else
such as cooking equipment or a fridge and this will be a serious risk to the health and safety of you or your family.
For more information about Crisis Loans contact your local DWP office.
Budgeting Loan - This loan will be repaid interest free
- If you have been claiming Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or Pension Credit, or payment on account of a combination of these benefits, for at least 26 weeks, you may be eligible for a Budgeting Loan.
- The maximum amount you can borrow on a Budgeting Loan at any one time is dependent on your circumstances but will not exceed Ј1500.00, if you have an existing loan the current balance will be taken into account.