Credit portal




My mortgage servicer refuses to accept my payment. What can I do?

what does a mortgage servicer do

updated 10/7/2014

You can either call or write a letter to your servicer requesting an explanation.

Tip: Learn more about how to request information from your servicer.

Be sure you’ve followed your mortgage servicer’s instructions for how to submit your mortgage payment.

Tip: If you have a problem with your mortgage, you can also submit a complaint to the CFPB online or by calling 1-855-411-CFPB (2372).

Servicers are not generally required to accept payments that don’t equal at least one full monthly payment. If you can’t make a full payment, you can call your servicer to explain that you’re trying to make a payment on your loan. You can ask if your servicer will accept the payment or work with you to agree on a repayment plan or loan modification. If you’re behind on your mortgage, your servicer may be required to contact you over the phone or in person, and then in writing, to give you information about whether

you might be eligible for a repayment plan, loan modification, or other solution.

Tip: If you need advice for your situation, you may want to speak with a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselor, who can help you understand your options. You can call (888) 995-HOPE (4673) to be connected to a HUD-approved housing counsellor. You can also find a housing counselor near you.

If you’re at risk of foreclosure or you have been served legal papers, you may also want to consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the American Bar Association website. If you have low or moderate income, visit to see if there are programs in your state that offer free legal help.

Get Help

We’ll forward your issue to the company, give you a tracking number, and keep you updated on the status of your complaint.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: