Credit portal





what is a discharge of mortgage

When your mortgage is paid off, a mortgage discharge should be recorded with the Registry of Deeds to clear your property’s title.

A discharge is a document (usually one page) issued by the lender, usually with a title such as “Discharge of Mortgage” or “Satisfaction of Mortgage.”

Discharges are often filed directly by banks or settlement attorneys, for example, as part of a sale or refinancing transaction.

In some instances, such as making your final mortgage payment, congratulations, the discharge may be sent directly to you and needs to be recorded.

Your best option for recording your discharge is to bring the original discharge and a check for $76.00 payable to the Norfok County Registry of Deeds to the Registry at 649 High Street, Dedham from 9:00am to 4:00pm, closed holidays. Personal checks are accepted. Your mortgage discharge will go on record that day. The original document, if it is Recorded (Registry) land

will be mailed back to you within 6 to 8 weeks. Registered (Land Court) land originals are not returned, but remain in the Land Court records. For the distinction between Recorded (Registry) and Registered (Land Court) land, click here ).

If you choose to mail in your discharge. please send the original discharge to the Norfolk County Registry of Deeds, 649 High Street, Dedham, MA 02026 with the $76.00 recording fee check. We process mail the day it arrives at the Registry.

Discharges cannot be faxed, the recorded document must be the original.

My bank went out of business, how do I find out who has my mortgage so that I may record my discharge? The Registry has provided an informational sheet, Where has my bank gone? at the bottom of this page, click the link to view/print the sheet.

Click here to download Where has my bank gone?

Category: Credit

Similar articles: