Credit portal




How do I get my name off the mortgage and equity line of credit that my ex husband was awarded in the divorce?

how do i get my name off of a mortgage

Matthew Scott Berkus

The answer is clear, but you aren't going to like it.

1. Ex needs to refi the mortgages

2. Ex needs to sell the house

Kevin Christopher McGee

Posted December 18, 2013 4:16pm

Mr. Adams is right - if there is equity in the house, get to family/probate court and get an order to sell (you may also want to consider an injunction against your ex prohibiting him from drawing down on the credit line). The order should also adjust what you and your ex receive from the house sale to account for his use of the credit line and his inability to pay you for your interest in the house.

Nothing contained in this answer constitutes specific or complete legal advice to the questioner and is

for general informational purposes only. My response is based only on the facts presented, and may change based on additional facts or different information about your situation. In other words, you are only getting the tip of the iceberg – consult with a lawyer if you think what you read here might apply to you and your situation. I am an attorney licensed to practice only in Massachusetts state and federal courts. To the extent that I am responding to a question posed by an individual in a different state, my response is given as a general opinion based only on my experience and knowledge acquired in the state and area in which I practice, and the questioner is ALWAYS advised to consult a local attorney for a more specific and definitive answer to the question posed.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: