Credit portal




can I get extra tax credits if my child or children are disabled?

how do i get tax credits

Related Post

If your child has a disability, or if you’re responsible for a child with a disability, you may qualify for extra tax credits, to help cover the cost of looking after them.

Who can get the extra money?

You can get extra tax credits if any one of the following applies:

  • you get Disability Living Allowance for your child
  • your child is registered blind
  • your child came off the blind register in the 28 weeks before you claimed tax credits

If your child is severely disabled and gets what’s known as the Highest Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance you may get an additional payment.

You can still qualify for the extra money even if the Disability Living Allowance stops because your child goes into hospital.

  • Disability Living Allowance – find out if you are eligible (disabled people section)

How much will you get?

The amount of extra tax credits you get depends on how much care your child needs. In this tax year – 6 April 2012 to 5 April 2013 – you could get approximately:

  • 2,950 a year, that is around 57 a week, if your child is disabled
  • 4,140 a year, that is around 80 a week, if your child is severely disabled

The amount you get also depends on other money you have

coming in:

  • Disability Living Allowance doesn’t count as income when your tax credits are worked out
  • Other benefits like Carer’s Allowance do count as income and can reduce your tax credit payments

To find out more about how much you may get, call the Tax Credit Helpline on0845 300 3900, textphone 0845 300 3909 or use the online questionnaire.

How to claim

You need to fill in a claim form, which you can get by ringing the Tax Credit Helpline. You should send in your claim form as soon as you think you qualify for tax credits.

If you now want to claim extra tax credits because your child has a disability, ring the Tax Credit Helpline as soon as you know youre entitled to Disability Living Allowance (or the Highest Rate Care Component) for your child.

You should do this within three months of finding out to make sure that you get your payments backdated to the earliest possible date.

Contact the Tax Credit Office

You can contact theTax Credit Helpline on0845 300 3900, or textphone 0845 300 3909 if you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment(open from 8.00 am to 8.00 pmevery dayexcept Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day).

If you’re calling from overseas you can also contact the Tax Credit Office on +44 289 053 8192.

Provided by HM Revenue and Customs

Category: Credit

Similar articles: