Credit portal




FAQ - Contacting UI

Facebook Icon
  • How do I file a claim?

File a claim for UI benefits or extension for UI benefits using one of the following methods:

  • File online with eApply4UI. The application can be completed online. Answers to questions are entered online. After the application is completed, the individual submits it online to the Department. Note. This is the fastest way to file your claim.
  • Contact EDD by telephone: Individuals will speak to a department representative who will ask a series of questions and record the responses.
  • Complete a paper Unemployment Insurance Application (DE 1101I). The application can be completed online and printed. The application can then be faxed or mailed to an EDD office for processing.

Note. The above options may also be used to reactivate an existing claim or file for extended benefits.

  • How do I reopen my claim?

If you stop filing your weekly claims (even possibly for one week), your UI claim becomes inactive. If you want to start claiming again, you must first reopen your claim by re-applying for UI benefits. You can reopen your claim any time during your 52-week benefit year for regular UI claims. If your benefit year has ended, you must apply for a new claim.

You may be eligible to reopen an existing federal extension claim if you have a balance remaining and do not monetarily qualify for regular UI benefits.

You may reopen your claim or file a new claim using the EDD’s online application, eApply4UI. or you may call our toll-free phone number and speak to a claims specialist who will reopen your claim or file a new claim. The process for reopening your claim is the same process used to file a new claim. Once you submit your UI application, the EDD will determine whether you will be reopening an existing claim or filing a new claim.

A new or reopened claim takes effect the Sunday of the week you contact the EDD. This means you must contact the EDD during the first week you want to claim benefits. Once you reopen your claim or file a new claim, a Continued Claim form for the following two weeks will be issued to you.

  • What is the best way to get answers to my questions about a claim?

The best way to get answers to your unemployment questions is to:

  • Locate the information in the Unemployment Insurance FAQs
  • Contact UI either online or by phone
  • Mail a letter to:

Employment Development Department

Employment Development DepartmentHome

PO Box 826880 – UIPCD, MIC 40

Sacramento, CA 94280-0001

  • Where is my UI benefit payment?

Benefit payment information is

available using our automated telephone system and you will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access your information. You create your PIN using the automated telephone system.

Payment information is available Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to midnight and Sunday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (All times are Pacific Time.)

If you have not received your payment or any response from EDD within 10 days of submitting your Continued Claim certification, contact EDD.

  • Why can’t I get through on the telephone?

When our telephone systems receive too many calls the telephone network becomes temporarily overloaded. If that occurs, you will hear a message that states, “We are currently receiving more calls than our system can handle. Please try again later.” This tends to happen between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. and is also likely to occur on our busiest days (Mondays, and days after a holiday).

Once you have reached our telephone system, and you make the menu selections to speak to a representative, the system routes your call to the location with the shortest wait time. However, if it appears that your call cannot be answered within 10 minutes because of the number of callers already waiting, you will hear a message advising you to call back later. To avoid this possibility, you may want to call on Wednesday or Thursday, which are our least busy days.

Statewide increased demand for UI services, seasonal fluctuations and holidays contribute to a longer wait time when calling the Department. We understand that your time is valuable and EDD is making every effort to shorten the time you must wait for service.

You can avoid telephone wait time by using one of our online applications to file your claim.

  • How do I report an address change or telephone number change on my UI claim?

There are four ways you can report an address or telephone number change:

  1. Online. You may submit your request online through Ask EDD. Select "Unemployment Insurance,” “Update Information,” and “Address or Telephone Number Change.”
  2. Mail - Continued Claim Form. On the bi-weekly certification, Continued Claim Form, DE 4581, mark the box on question 8, and complete Section D on the reverse side of form. Claimants who wish to change their address cannot do so while using EDD Web-Cert SM or EDD Tele-Cert SM certification methods.
  3. Phone. You can also report an address or telephone number change by telephone. Contact UI and we will change your address while you're on the telephone. To protect your privacy, be prepared to provide claim verification information.
  4. Mail - Letter. Write us a letter and include the following information:
    • Your name
    • Social Security number
    • New address and/or telephone number
    • Your signature

Category: Credit

Similar articles: