Credit portal




How do i get working tax credit

Many people have been overpaid tax credits

The tax credit system has been criticised for "completely unacceptable" errors, with one third of recipient families having been overpaid, according to a new report.

Many people in receipt of tax credit have told the BBC News website that they are still having problems - and are becoming increasingly frustrated and, in some cases, even desperate.

BBC News website offers some guidance.

I've been overpaid. What should I do?

If you have been overpaid, and expect your income for the current tax year to rise by more than Ј2,500, you must tell the HMRC.

But in the 2005 pre-Budget report it was announced that this threshold would rise to Ј25,000 in 2006.

You can either contact the tax credit helpline or write in to: HM Revenue & Customs Tax Credits, Comben

House, Farriers Way, Netherton, L69 1BY.

The tax credit helpline number is 0845 300 3900.

You must also tell HMRC about a number of other changes in circumstance.

More details are available in WTC2 - Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit - A Guide, available on the HMRC's website.

I'm worried about debt. Where can I turn?

If you are worried about debt, there are a number of free debt advice agencies which can help you.

Try Consumer Credit Counselling Service (0800 1381111), National Debtline (0808 8084000) or Citizens Advice (020 7833 2181).

I want compensation for extra costs. I have got a query which can't wait, and I can't get through to the helpline?

The government has told BBC News that it will not set up a separate compensation scheme for tax credits.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: