Credit portal




Thread: going self employed -can iu get working tax credit?!

working tax credit when self employed

going self employed -can iu get working tax credit?!


After advice from anyone on here

Im currently on benefits ( single mum)

Ive been training for a new role and from Jan, im going self employed - part time

Im only going to make approx 6k per year( estimate)

Reply With Quote

Hi Kerry

Congrats on the training and chance of being self-employed. As long as you work an average of at least 6 hours a week (including admin, planning, marketing & other activities you need to do as a self-employed person on top of the time spent on actual paid work)

Working Tax Credit is for people who are employed or self-employed (either on their own or in a partnership), who

•usually work 16 hours or more a week

•are paid for that work, and

•aged 16 or over and responsible for at least one child, or

•aged 16 or over and disabled, or

•aged 25 or over and usually work at least 30 hours a week

Working Tax Credit is paid to the person who is working 16 hours or more a week. Couples, if both of you are working 16 hours or more a week, must choose which one of you will receive it. You cannot receive Working Tax Credit if you are not working.

As part of Working Tax Credit you may qualify for help towards the costs of childcare. If you receive the childcare element of Working Tax Credit, this will always be paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children, alongside payments of Child Tax Credit.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: