Credit portal




My loan has been certified, when will it be disbursed (posted) to my student account?

how are student loans disbursed

Some possible reasons why loan funds have not posted yet include:

  • Federal loan funds may not be credited to your student account until 10 days prior to the start of classes.
  • In some cases, the University has not yet received the funds from the lender (funds are received through Electronic Funds Transfer or conventional check).
  • In other cases, our Cashier's office has the check, but needs your and/or your parents' endorsement before being able to post it.
  • If you have an unpaid balance from a previous term you will not be allowed to use financial aid awarded for the fall semester to cover the unpaid balance. Federal Title IV regulations prohibit students from using aid to cover a balance from a previous year.

Perkins Loans:

The earliest your Federal Perkins loan can be disbursed is 10 days prior to classes beginning.

Before you receive your Federal Perkins loan, Health Profession Student Loan, Loan for Disadvantaged Students or any Institutional Loan, you must authorize the University of Southern California to credit the funds to your student account by electronically signing* (e-signature) a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The University has partnered with ECSI to help us with this process (ECSI is currently servicing these loans). An email will be sent to your official USC email address (ends in '') with instructions on how to accept and sign for these loans electronically.

* The E-signature procedure will not be implemented on Institutional loans. A paper note will still be required every semester, for accepting and disbursing Institutional loans.

See also:

PLUS Loans:

If your PLUS loan has been disbursed by your lender, the PLUS loan proceeds

may be on hold pending receipt of the Parent PLUS loan EFT Authorization Form.

If so, you may go to to download the Parent PLUS loan EFT Authorization form.

  • Go to Step # 4 in the "How to Apply" section and click on the link.
  • On the forms page, click on the form name and print it out.
  • Please mail the completed form to: USC Cashier’s Office, P.O. Box 7660, Los Angeles, CA 90007, OR, for faster handling you may fax it to (213) 740-0835.
  • Once we receive the completed form, we can process it and make arrangements to disburse the funds to the student's account.

Stafford Loans:

As a first-time Federal Stafford Loan borrower at USC, federal regulations require that you complete entrance loan counseling before your loan is disbursed. This requirement applies even if you previously borrowed at another college or university. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

If you have previously borrowed a Stafford loan during enrollment at another institution, a master promissory note may be on file, please contact the Financial Aid Office on how to proceed.

If you have never borrowed the Stafford loan, then the master promissory note is to be received from your lender. It should be signed and returned to them. The funds will then be electronically transferred to the University.

Other Loans:

If you are receiving any other student loans, and the loan is needed to settle your bill, please contact the Financial Aid Office regarding how you should proceed.

See also:

  • You may check OASIS for your Financial Aid status at .

Category: Credit

Similar articles: