Credit portal




How can my Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction be paid?

how is council tax benefit paid

The way you get your Benefit depends on what you are claiming. You can see below how the different types of Benefit are paid and when.

  • Council Tax Reduction - This is paid direct to your Council Tax account. Once you have been given the Council Tax Reduction you will be sent a new bill. This bill will tell you if any more payments are needed or if your bill has been fully cleared.
  • Housing Benefit - Council Tenant - Housing Benefit is automatically credited to your rent account.
  • Housing Benefit - Private Tenants - Housing Association - We can pay your Housing Benefit into your bank account or directly into your landlord's bank account.
  • Housing Benefit - Private Tenants – Landlords - We will pay your Housing Benefit directly into your bank account. But we will pay the landlord directly if you haven’t paid your rent in 8 weeks, if you can prove that you

    cannot manage your finances, if we feel that you are an unlikely payer or if your tenancy started before January 1989.

  • Universal Credit - Private Tenants, Council Tenants, Owner Occupiers and those of No Fixed Abode - This benefit is paid by the Department of Work and Pensions and is paid direct into a bank account. For further details about Universal Credit and when you will be switched to receive it please click here .

To have your Housing Benefit paid directly into your bank account you will need to complete our BACS form. This form can be found in related downloads. Please complete the form and then send it back to us.

When will my Housing Benefit be paid?

The date that you are paid depends on what sort of claim you have and how long you have been claiming.

Council Tenants

Council tenants are always paid weekly. South Essex Homes normally gets payment over the weekend.

Category: Credit

Similar articles: