Reminder: Buy Up To 50,000 Marriott Rewards Points Per Calendar Year
Marriott Rewards members buy can buy or gifted up to 50,000 points in a calendar year. You ca buy 50,000 points on December 31 st and another 50,000 on January 1 st .
Here are the two main reasons why I believe someone should purchase points:
1. You are qualified based on number of nights for lifetime Gold or Platinum status, but you are short of points. (You can read more about the lifetime requirements here )
2. You have 150K to 200K Marriott Rewards points and considering buying a Travel Package (read more about travel packages here ). You can essentially buy miles at 1.25 cents each by buying Marriott Rewards and redeeming for a travel package.
The price of a Marriott Rewards points is 1.25 cents each. The price of the 50,000 Marriott Rewards points is $625. You can purchase Marriott Rewards points here .
Buying Marriott Rewards points have traditionally counted towards the lifetime points, but that can obviously change at Marriott’s whim.
You can find the number of nights that count towards your lifetime status by logging to your Marriott
Rewards account. The only way to find out the number of lifetime points earned is to contact Marriott Rewards customer service.
Note that Marriott Rewards points purchases are handled by Points.com and the charge does not come through from Marriott.
Buying Marriott Rewards points can make sense, if you are planning to redeem for a travel package or close to lifetime status, but short on lifetime points.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
• A member may purchase or receive as a gift a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
• Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000.
• Purchase rate is 12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points.
• Please allow 24-48 hours for transaction to be completed and points awarded to recipient.
• You must be a Marriott Rewards member in good standing to both purchase and receive points.
• Once points have been purchased or gifted, no refunds will be permitted.
• Purchasing points with the Marriott Rewards Visa® card will result in earning one point per dollar spent on these transactions.Source: loyaltylobby.com