How to buy train tickets in italy
Los Angeles, CA · 7,698 forum posts
#2 of 42 ·
1. Unreserved regionale train: buy PAPER ticket in Italy
2. Travel via Milano by unreserved regionale train as above. Milan to Venice. reserved Frecciabianca train: purchase electronic ticket through Trenitalia website IF you want to save money (SUPER ECONOMY fare); otherwise, buy PAPER ticket in Italy
3. Reserved Frecciargento train: purchase electronic ticket through Trenitalia website IF you want to save money (SUPER ECONOMY fare); otherwise, buy PAPER ticket in Italy
4. Unreserved regionale train: buy PAPER ticket in Italy
5. Unreserved regionale train: buy PAPER ticket in Italy
6. Unreserved airport train: buy PAPER ticket in Italy
For the TWO RESERVED trains (Milan to Venice and Venice to Florence ): you can purchase ELECTRONIC tickets beginning FOUR MONTHS prior to scheduled travel. The SUPER ECONOMY fare on these two trains is non-refundable AND non-changeable. If you want maximum flexibility, don't even bother buying online, and wait to buy a "BASE" rate PAPER ticket when in Italy. With the SUPER ECONOMY fare, you can save up to 80% of the "BASE" fare if you are able to get the 9-Euro fare.
For all of
the UNRESERVED regionale trains: don't bother purchasing ELECTRONIC tickets via the Trenitalia website. There is no discount on these trains by purchasing in advance. Just buy PAPER tickets for these trains at the train station. The PAPER tickets give you more flexibility than the ELECTRONIC tickets for the UNRESERVED regionale trains. REMEMBER to "validate" the PAPER ticket for the UNRESERVED regionale train before boarding.
You do NOT need to validate PAPER tickets for the RESERVED trains, nor ANY ELECTRONIC ticket for ANY train (reserved or unreserved).
BEWARE: As you will be CONNECTING at Milano Centrale from the unreserved regionale train from Varenna to the reserved Frecciabianca train to Venice, be sure to allow NO LESS than 30 minutes connection time.
HINT: The Trenitalia airport TRAIN from Roma Termini to Roma FCO costs 14 Euros. You can save money (bus fare is only 6 Euros) by taking the SIT Shuttle Airport BUS from Via Marsala 5 (in front of the Royal Santina Hotel, Piazza dei Cinquecento, 300 meters from Termini station). The BUS takes about 50 minutes, versus 30 minutes for the nonstop airport train. If there are five of you travelling, you can save 40 Euros by taking the airport BUS.Source: www.tripadvisor.com