Credit portal




How To Find A Lyme Literate Doctor (LLMD) In Your Area

how to find a tick in word

by Danielle • September 19, 2010 • 273 Comments

Because of the hullabaloo over treating chronic Lyme disease, many Lyme-literate doctors (LLMDs) prefer to keep a low profile which is why it is often difficult to find an LLMD in your area or nearby. As well, many forums and Lyme discussion websites will not publish the names of LLMDs for fear that the doctors will be targeted for treating chronic Lyme disease; thus, these physicians’ names are often kept private. Luckily, you can contact one of the Lyme disease organizations I have listed below and request a doctor referral for a Lyme-literate physician (it’s free!). Seeing a Lyme-literate doctor is important because they have experience in treating not just acute Lyme disease, but chronic Lyme disease and the many co-infections that ticks can transmit. Here is how to get a Lyme-literate physician referral in your area:

1. The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) is a great way to get a Lyme-literate Doctor referral, and is probably the best place to start. Go to their website email them at or call them at 301-263-1080 (they are on EST). ILADS is the “gatekeeper” for most Lyme docs in the United States. They may also be able to

point you in the direction of an LLMD in another part of the world if you reside outside of the Unites States.

2. Turn The Corner – an amazing Lyme disease foundation that supports the research, education, awareness, etc. of Lyme disease – will help you try to locate an LLMD near you for free: “Turn the Corner volunteers proudly answer inquiries from Lyme patients throughout the world and provide free, information about Lyme-Literate medical professionals in your area.” Here is the link

And here is their email for inquiries (they will only answer by email):

3. has a Lyme disease forum where they have a “Seeking a Physician” section. Here, members of the forum will give you the contact information for LLMDs in your area from When you go to’s homepage, click on “Flash Discussion,” and then click on “Seeking a Doctor.” You will be asked to enter your city, state, and contact information, and a forum member will contact you with a physician referral.

4. The Lyme Disease Association has a Doctor Referral Service: Go to and click on “Doctor Referral.” You just need to give them your contact information and they will give you a doctor referral.

Category: Forex

Similar articles: