Report a drug dealer
Reporting a drug matter
There are currently 3 ways to report a drug dealer or suspected drug lab:
Questions that police will ask you
Below are the questions police will ask you when you report a drug matter. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to find the suspect.
Police will ask you for information about:
- the person’s appearance and manner
- where the person lives, including address, phone numbers, property description, how long they’ve lived there, whether there are children or dangerous dogs, and whether there are firearms or weapons on the property
- the person’s cars, including registration details
- the names and address of anyone else involved, as well as how often they come around and what activity you’ve seen between them, such as exchanges of cash or packages
- what drugs they’re dealing and how you know what they look like or how they’re packaged
- What times of the day or night do these person/s come around.
If you suspect a drug lab
What to do
If you find or suspect a drug lab, get out and call the police.
The ingredients used in drug labs are highly toxic, flammable and dangerous. Drug labs explode, ignite and release harmful gases that can cause serious health problems and be life threatening.
Never touch the items you see
or enter the property. If you’re already inside or near a drug lab, leave immediately and contact police.
How to identify a drug lab
Below are some signs of a drug lab:
- suspicious items, including improvised heating and cooling mechanisms
- used materials surrounding a property, including cold and flu packets, empty pseudoephedrine blister strips, gas cylinders or butane fuel cans, stained coffee filters, pH testers or test strips, and water pumps
- an unusual chemical smell
Additionally, as a landlord, you might notice:
- a new tenant willing to pay rent months in advance using only cash
- new rental applicants trying to avoid background checks
- a premises recently rented by residents who are rarely there
- a new tenant who is never there, however other unknown persons are.