MLA Format:Examples of MLA Works Cited
What is MLA Style?
All fields of research require certain formats of documentation for scholarly articles and publishing. MLA referencing has been widely adopted by academic schools and lecturers for over half a century. The MLA style for documenting scholarly published articles and essays is simpler and more detailed than other types of bibliography and document formatting. An MLA style document has short citations in the text with an alphabetical list of referenced works at the end of the document.
When revising your academic work, ensure it follow the correct MLA referencing format. This page contains guidelines for the arrangement and some examples of MLA cited works of your academic paper.
See our guide on how to MLA format parenthetical citations details and examples on how to cite in the text of the document by MLA standards.Guidelines for formatting MLA style work
- Clarkson's Guidelines on Formatting in MLA Style
pages of the document that numbers all pages in the upper right-hand corner at one-half inch from the top.
Note: These citations serve as examples of how to MLA format entries on Works Cited pages of student research papers. These examples may or may not be actual published literary works, and you should not be disappointed if the internet web site URLs are not functional. Again, this page is simply a set of examples to help you format a paper written in MLA style.
When creating your Works Cited Page, remember to:
- Begin the Works Cited on a new page, but number consecutively (i.e. if the last page of your essay is page 3, the Works Cited is page 4)
- Alphabetize each entry by first letter
- Use italics for all titles of books, magazines, films, etc.
- You do NOT need to include the URL on internet sources unless specifically required.
- Put quotation marks around the titles of poems, short stories, and articles
- Indent the 2 nd line, the 3 rd line, and all subsequent lines of each citation
- Double-space all entries
Examples of MLA CitationsSource: www.studyguide.org