Credit portal




What is my hecs balance

what is my hecs balance



HECS-HELP is a loan program to help eligible students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place  to pay their student contribution amounts. There are three ways students can pay their student contribution:

  • pay their full student contribution up front
  • receive a HECS-HELP loan for the full student contribution
  • pay some of the student contribution up front and receive a HECS-HELP loan for the balance of the student contribution.

Who is eligible?

Australian citizens and holders of a permanent humanitarian visa are eligible for HECS-HELP assistance. Other permanent visa holders and New Zealand citizens are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan and must pay their student contribution in full by the fee due date.

How do you request HECS-HELP assistance?

Requests for HECS-HELP are made in USC Central when you complete your Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form (eCAF). You will only need to complete an eCAF once for each program in which you are enrolled.

You need a Tax File Number (TFN)

Eligible students need to provide their Tax File Number by the fee payment due date. If you cannot find your TFN, phone the Australian Taxation Office on 13 28 61.

If you do not have a TFN, you will need to apply for one online from the Australian Taxation Office. It is essential to apply early to ensure you have your TFN on or before the fee payment due date. *

* If the ATO do not allocate your TFN before the fee due date you must provide USC with a copy of your TFN Application Summary (you print this from the ATO website) and the receipt Australia Post issued when you provided your proof of identity. Failure to provide this evidence will prevent your access to HECS-HELP assistance. You will therefore be required to pay your fees in full. We recommend you provide your evidence of having applied for a TFN as a precaution.

How to keep track of your HECS-HELP loan

A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) will be available in USCCentral no later than 28 days after each census date. Check your student email account for advice on when your CAN is available. Your CAN will include information on:

  • the USC

    courses for which you have received Commonwealth assistance

  • the student contribution amounts you have been charged for courses you were enrolled in at the Census date
  • any up-front payments you have made
  • any HECS-HELP assistance you have used for that study period, if you are using HECS-HELP to pay your student contributions
  • Student Services and Amenities charges, payments or SA-HELP assistance, if you have used SA-HELP for that study period.

You have 14 days from the date your CAN is issued to submit a written request for correction to Student Central  if you think there are incorrect details included on your CAN.

Your CAN includes your unique Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN). Should you wish to keep track of your HELP loan in myUniAssist. You will need your unique CHESSN and other personal identifying details. For further information on myUni Assist refer to Study Assist .

Students with a HECS-HELP loan begin repaying HELP debts through the taxation system once your repayment income is above the compulsory repayment threshold. The compulsory repayment threshold is adjusted each year and further information on repaying your HELP loan is available at Study Assist .

What happens to my HECS-HELP liability if I drop out of university?

To avoid unnecessary financial expenses, make sure that you withdraw in USCCentral before the relevant census date. If you withdraw from a course / subject after the census date, you will still be liable to pay for that course / subject. This means that if you have already paid upfront, you may not be able to get a refund, and if you have deferred your fees, you will continue to have a debt with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

If you withdraw after the census date, due to serious illness or other special circumstances, you may be able to have your debt removed or refunded if you paid upfront. Please download the form Application for Removal of Financial Liability and/or Academic Penalty in Special Circumstances from Student forms and document requests. Review the guidelines before submitting an application.

More information

*For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page .

Category: Forex

Similar articles: