File a Claim for Unemployment Insurance Benefits
Eligibility Requirements for Unemployment Insurance Benefits
To be eligible for UI benefits the claimant must:
- be totally or partially unemployed
- have worked and earned a minimum amount of wages in work covered by UI in the last 15 to 18 months
- have lost his or her job through no fault of their own
- be able and available for work
- be actively seeking work (work search may be waived if certain criteria are met)
- be registered for work at your local IowaWORKS center or online (unless the work search requirement is waived) .
Information required when filing for Unemployment Insurance (UI) Benefits
The following information is needed when filing for UI benefits:
- social security number
- name, payroll address and telephone number of your last employer
- start and end dates of your last job
- whether or not you will receive vacation pay, severance,
- alien registration number (if not a U.S. citizen or permanent refugee)
- DD-214 (Member 4) if you served in the U.S. military during the last 18 months
- Standard Form 8 (SF-8) if you worked for the federal government in the last 18 months
- name(s), date(s) of birth, and social security number(s) of any dependents that are claimed as exemptions on your federal income tax return
- Spouses may be claimed as a dependent if their gross wages were $120.00 or less in the week prior to filing your claim.
- Self-employment does not count as gross wages for dependent purposes.
How To Apply for UI benefits
You may file for UI benefits online (the fastest and most efficient way) or at a local IowaWORKS Center .
For additional information or to better understand the eligibility requirements, please refer to the Unemployment Insurance Benefits Handbook or contact Customer Service at 866-239-0843.Source: www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov