Certificate of Origin
What is it?
The Certificate of Origin is a signed declaration from the manufacturer of the goods indicating that the goods are of Canadian origin and meet the requirements of a free trade agreement.
Here is a list of some commonly used Free Trade Agreements:
- Canada-Chile Free Trade Agreement
- Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement
- Canada-Costa Rica Free Trade Agreement
- Canada-European Free Trade Association Free Trade Agreement
- Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement
- Canada-Peru Free Trade Agreement
- North American Free Trade Agreement
For a complete list of free trade agreements, requirements and forms, please visit the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website.
Why is it needed?
The importer in the foreign country may be entitled to claim a preferential tariff treatment and pay a lower duty rate if they have a valid certificate of origin.
When is it needed?
The type of commodity you're exporting and its destination country will determine whether it is required – for example, many countries require a Certificate of Origin for textiles, such as fabric or clothing, over a certain value.
Where can I
- A Certificate of Origin must be completed and signed by the exporter of the goods. When the exporter is not the producer, the exporter can complete the certificate on the basis of knowledge of the goods' origin, reasonable reliance on the producer's written representation of the goods' origin, or a completed and signed Certificate of Origin for the goods voluntarily provided to the exporter by the producer.
- A copy of this document should be forwarded to the importer and retained by the exporter. Be sure to include a copy of your Certificate of Origin INSIDE as well as OUTSIDE the shipment.
- Canada Customs regulations require that you keep this certificate and the backup documentation for six years following the year of its issuance. Failure to do so could invalidate the preferential duty claim.
- In some countries, the Certificate of Origin must be notarized. Please check the destination country's regulations.
- To file a blanket Certificate of Origin with FedEx ®. contact FedEx Customer Service 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 for FedEx for international express shipments. For FedEx International Ground ™ shipments, please contact your broker.