Frequently Asked Questions
City Jobs FAQs
At time of application, applicants must be citizens, nationals, or permanent resident aliens of the United States or non-citizens eligible under federal law for unrestricted employment. You may be asked to provide proof of eligibility during the application process.
Employees applying for inter-departmental recruitments (promotional job opportunities), must be regular employees of the City and County of Honolulu who have successfully completed the initial probationary period by the application deadline date. Click here to view promotional opportunities for City employees.
Job applications can only be found online at www.honolulu.gov/hr on our Job Opportunities page. Application forms will not be mailed or faxed.
There are two (2) on-line computers available from 7:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. at the Department of Human Resources, Employment and Personnel Services Division, located at the Frank F. Fasi Municipal Building*, 650 South King Street,10th Floor, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. The office is open from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, except holidays. *A valid government-issued photo ID is required to enter the building.
In addition, the locations below also have free public computers access. Please check the websites for specific locations and hours.
1) Click here. or visit our website at www.honolulu.gov/hr and click on “Job Opportunities”.
2) Click on the job title
3) After reviewing the job announcement, click on “Apply.”
4) If you already have a government jobs account, login and complete the application. If you forgot your username or password, click here .
5) If you do not have a government jobs account, click on the “Create Your Account Here!” link.
a) Create your account using an email address which is exclusively for your own use.
Note: You cannot create multiple accounts using the same e-mail address. In addition, when creating a new account, the "Notification Preference" option is not applicable for City positions. Please read the job announcement to determine how notifications will be sent.
b) When filling out the personal information section on your application, please follow the guidelines listed below:
i) Please use your full legal name, not a nickname or shortened name.
Note: If you are scheduled for a written test, the name on your application must match the name on your government-issued photo I.D. You may not be admitted to the test site if the names do not match.
ii) Include generational titles (such as Jr. Sr. III, etc.) after your last name. Example: John Smith, Jr.
iii) Address #1 should be your current mailing address. Use Address #2 only if you run out of space on the Address #1 line. We are NOT responsible for misdirected mail due to incorrect information on your application.
iv) Remember your new Username and Password! (You will need this to Login next time).
v) A step-by-step instruction guide on how to apply is available online: [CLICK HERE]
c) Complete your application.
i) SAVE your work to avoid losing data.
ii) The NEOGOV system will take you through six (6) application process steps:
Step 1 - Info
Step 2 - Work
Step 3 - Education
Step 4 -. Additional
Step 5 - Review
Step 6 - Submit
6) Before submitting your application, please review your information and verify that all the information provided is correct.
7) After reviewing your completed application, click on “Accept and Submit.”
8) If you successfully submitted your application, you will immediately receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive an email, then your application was not submitted.
• To expedite completing the application, gather all pertinent data regarding your employment history, education, and professional licensing prior to the application process. In addition, you may be able to "cut" and "paste" from a saved document.
• Do NOT share your government jobs account or email address. Applications may be disqualified if a shared account or email is used.
• Show all relevant education and experience on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
• Applications must be submitted online by midnight (11:59 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time) on the job announcement’s closing date.
To retrieve your username or password, you may use the following links:
If you are still unable to access your account, please call the Toll-Free Applicant Support line at 1-855-524-5627 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time or email email@example.com to reset your account login information.
If you must create multiple accounts, please be advised that you are responsible for keeping track of which jobs you applied for on each account. In addition, as important information will be sent via email, you are responsible for monitoring the email addresses associated with each account.
If you complete all steps properly and ["ACCEPT & SUBMIT"], you will immediately receive an email confirmation stating that your application was successfully submitted. If you do not receive an email, then your application was not submitted.
To ensure proper delivery, please make sure you:
• use a valid e-mail account;
• verify your e-mail address is entered correctly on your GovernmentJobs account;
• check your spam folders; and
• add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.
If you create multiple accounts and apply for the same job, the duplicate applications will not be accepted.
During regular business hours (Monday thru Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except holidays) call (808) 768-8536 and we can offer assistance.
If you leave a voice mail message, please be sure to include the following information:
• your full legal name
• your telephone number (include area code)
• the title of the position you are applying for
• a BRIEF description of the difficulties you are encountering
However, leaving a message will not extend the application deadline.
Notifications will be sent via the method(s) stated on
the job announcement. The Department of Human Resources is not responsible for misdirected correspondence due to incorrect information on your application.
Note: When creating a new account, the "Notification Preference" option is not applicable for City positions. Please read the job announcement to determine how notifications will be sent.
There are three ways you may obtain a copy of your application during the application process step procedures:
1. At the end of each step take the opportunity to print a copy of your application step before you proceed.
2. Upon completing Step 5 (Review), we advise you to print a copy of your application before you press "Proceed to Certify and Submit."
3. After you submit your application, click on “Job Applications” and then the job title of the job application you wish to review.
Yes. You may update your email address on your account and it will immediately update all of your applications.
However, if you need to update other information, such as address, phone number, etc. you must notify the Department of Human Resources in writing. Requests must be submitted to our office at:
Department of Human Resources
650 South King Street, 10th Floor
Honolulu, HI 96813
Application Update Forms are also available at our office, Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. except holidays. Click here for directions to our office.
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time on the closing date. The closing date can be found on the job announcement.
If a position is open for "CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT," it will remain open for as long as is necessary to seek a sufficient number of applicants and can be closed at any time without advance notice.
- Review of Application
Applications and supporting documents are reviewed by the Department of Human Resources to determine applicants' qualifications for the job including suitability for employment and if they meet other public employment requirements. Applicants are notified by e-mail or mail as to whether they meet the requirements for the job; when and where to report for any written tests or other tests; and their test results.
Applicants may request clarification of their disqualification or re-evaluation of their qualifications with the Examination Specialists within ten calendar days following the postmark/e-mail date of the notice of examination results. If unresolved, applicants may file an informal complaint (administrative review) within ten calendar days following the postmark/e-mail date of the Specialist's notification of examination results. Applicants may appeal the administrative review decision to the Civil Service Commission within 20 calendar days after receipt of the written response to the informal complaint.
- Establishment of an Eligible List
Please Note. Veteran's Preference Points do not apply to Promotional examination scores.
- Interview and Selection
- Employment Suitability Evaluation
Before being hired, the person selected must:
• complete a City medical examination, if applicable;
• be cleared to safely perform the physical and mental job requirements;
• pass a drug test, if applicable; and
• provide original documents to verify identity and employment eligibility.
This examination notice does not preclude consideration of qualified City employees who are eligible for work injury placements, promotion, demotion or transfer, and former City employees for re-employment. City department heads have the right to fill a vacancy through these and any other procedures established by Civil Service Rules and Regulations.
- Filling the Vacancy
• work injury placements
• promotions, demotions, or transfers
• re-employment opportunities.
Yes. Once hired, a 6-month initial-probationary period is in effect. During the probationary period an employee is not entitled to rights under any collective bargaining agreement. A probationary period may also be extended under certain circumstances.
Note: Police and Fire have initial probationary periods of 12 months due to the nature of their job requirements.Source: www.honolulu.gov