Credit portal





CanadianBirthCertificate-Official Canadian Birth,Marriage and Death Certificates
Who can apply

Every child born in Ontario must be registered with the Office of the Registrar General before applying for a Birth Certificate. If your child is more than one year of age and you have not yet registered their birth, you will need to obtain a Delayed Statement of Live Birth form. Once the birth is registered, a Birth Certificate will be issued.

Please visit our Delayed Registration of Birth page to learn how to obtain this important document.

You can apply for an Ontario Birth Certificate if you are:

  • The person whose name appears on the certificate (must be at least 13 years of age);
  • Parents of the person named on the certificate (if that person is less than 19 years of age or incapable);
  • A legal guardian of the person named on the certificate;
  • Next-of-kin, executor or estate administrator, if the person named on the certificate is deceased.
Documents Available to Order

Before applying, find out the type and format of the document required by contacting the organization to which you must submit it.


Short Form - Birth Certificate (Wallet Size 2.5" x 3.75"):

The short form is a Birth Certificate and contains

basic information: the individual’s name, date of birth, certificate number, birthplace, sex, date of registration, registration number, and the date issued. The short form is not issued for deceased persons.

Long Form - Certified Copy Of Birth Registration (8.5" x 14"):

The long form is a Certified Copy of the Birth Registration and contains all registered information as stated above, plus the location of birth, parents' names, parents' date of birth, mother's mailing address at the time of birth, duration of pregnancy, number of children born to this mother, weight of the child at birth, type of birth (single, multiple, etc.), and attendant at the birth. You may need a certified copy if: you are moving to another country; you are an executor for a foreign estate; you are adopting a child; or you are filling out certain citizenship or immigration documents.

When submitting an application concerning the birth of a minor, we recommend requesting the Long Form Birth Certificate, as it includes the parents' names. Some organizations require this type of certificate in the case of minors.

Search Letter:

This is a letter saying the record is or is not on file. A 5 year period will be searched (the year provided, plus 2 years before and after).

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: