BIRTH CERTIFICATE - FAQ
Who is authorized to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate?
The following persons are authorized to obtain a certified copy of a record. Proof of relationship to the person named on the record is required.
- The person named on the birth certificate, if of legal age
- (Include any legal name changes made to your record)
- The mother of the person listed on the record
- The father (if listed on the record)
- A child of the person named on the record.
- (You will need to show your own birth certificate.)
- A sibling of the person named on the record.
- (You will have to show a certified copy of your birth certificate.)
- The current spouse (You must present a certified copy of your marriage.)
- A legal representative (You will be required to show a court order.)
- A guardian with legal custody of a minor child (You will have to show the court order.)
- A federal, state, or local government agency for official use only. Identification is required.
- The grandparent will need a notarized letter from the child’s parents to obtain the birth certificate of the grandchild. The grandparent must also show his/her identification.
Can I authorize another person to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate?
You can authorize another person to obtain a copy of the birth certificate on your behalf. The applicant must submit the Delegation of Authority Form available in our Form Center
Where can I get a certified copy of a birth certificate?
Apply in person or send your written
Denville Division of Health
1 Saint Mary’s Place
Denville, New Jersey 07834.
Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Our register/counter hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 pm.
What will I need to do to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate by mail?
- If you send your application by mail, please provide the following information or print a copy of the application to Certificate Request Form and complete the Birth section.
- Full name of the person as it appears in the record. (Include any legal name change you made to the record.)
- The mother’s full maiden name
- The full name of the father (if listed on the record)
- The exact date of birth
- The exact place of birth
2.) Attach copies of your proof of relationship to the individual identified on the record unless you are requesting your own record
3.) Indicate the number of copies needed, and the reason for which you are applying for the birth certificate (to obtain a passport, driver’s license, identification, registration for school, marriage, etc.)
4.)Include your telephone number
How much does a certified copy of a birth certificate cost?
The cost for a certified copy is Fee Schedule per copy.
Credit cards or personal checks are not accepted. Money orders payable to the “Denville Division of Health” are acceptable. You may pay cash in person.
How can I reach the Registrar?
Please contact us at 973-625-8300 EXT 262.Source: www.denvillenj.org