Credit portal




How do I apply for a SIN, obtain a confirmation of my SIN, or amend my SIN record (e.g. a name change)?

how to get a social insurance number

Important Notices:

  • There is no fee to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN ).
  • On March 31, 2014, Service Canada began issuing SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN cards has stopped.
  • Original proof of identity documents are required to apply for a SIN ; photocopies are not accepted.

Applying within Canada

To apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN ), to obtain a confirmation of your SIN, or to amend your SIN record, simply gather all the required original proof of identity documents and take them to the nearest Service Canada point of service .

If everything is in order, you will get your SIN during your visit .

Special measures are in place to accommodate individuals who cannot apply in-person at a Service Canada point of service. Note: Only individuals in these circumstances are permitted to apply by mail:

  • Individuals living 100 km or more from the nearest Service Canada point of service, in an inaccessible area, or where outreach is very infrequent may apply by mail. To determine if you are eligible to apply for a SIN by mail, please enter your residential postal code in the box below and click “Submit”.

Postal code (Example: A8A 8A8) (required)

  • Individuals with other extenuating limitations preventing them from visiting a Service Canada point of service and cannot use the assistance of another individual to submit an application on their behalf may be eligible to apply by mail. Note: Individuals must contact 1-800-206-7218 (select Option #3) to determine if

    they are eligible to apply by mail.

  • Through the Newborn Registration Service

    If you are a parent, you may be eligible to apply for the SIN for your newborn. Service Canada’s Newborn Registration Service is an integrated birth registration and SIN application process. This service is available in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.

    Applying from outside Canada

    To apply for your SIN. to obtain a confirmation of your SIN. or to amend your SIN record from outside of Canada:

    • Download an application form from our website, or order the form by phone at 506-548-7961 (long distance charges apply).
    • Send us your completed application and original documents to:

    Service Canada

    Government of CanadaSymbol of the Government of Canada

    Social Insurance Registration Office

    PO Box 7000

    Bathurst, New Brunswick E2A 4T1


    If you are eligible to apply by mail, you can submit an application with original proof of identity document(s). Photocopies are not accepted .

    If you send your application by registered mail, we will return your documents in the same way. Service Canada is not responsible for document(s) lost in the mail.

    If your SIN application meets the requirements, you will receive your confirmation of SIN letter by mail within 20 business days from the date the application is received. If more than 25 business days have passed and you would like to find out the status of your application, contact the SIN program .

    Date modified: 2015-05-12

    Category: Insurance

    Similar articles: