How to get a teaching certificate
Your Application Packet
For applications submitted by mail, first-time applications for credentials, certificates, permits, or waivers must include all of the following:
- a completed application (form 41-4) [PDF] or waiver request form (waivers can only be submitted by employing agency)
- any supporting documentation (i.e. transcripts, exam scores, etc), *
- current processing fees
- a copy of the "Request for LiveScan Service " form must be attached to the application packet as proof that fingerprints were taken and the fingerprint processing fees paid
- Out-of-State Residents Only: You must submit two completed fingerprint cards (FD-258) in lieu of a LiveScan receipt. You must also submit all applicable processing fees. Fingerprint cards may be ordered by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Subsequent applications for credentials for credentials, certificates and permits must include all of the following:
Renewal applications for credentials, certificates, permits, or waivers must include all of the following (all clear credentials must be renewed online):
- completed application [PDF] (form 41-4) or waiver request form (waivers can only be submitted by employing agency)
- current processing fee
- any supporting documentation (i.e. transcripts, exam scores, etc.)
Certificate of Clearance
California residents must apply for their Certificate of Clearance
online effective July 1, 2007. See Credential Leaflet CL-900 for details on applying for the Certificate of Clearance.
The fingerprint and character and identification process via LiveScan is usually completed within ten working days. If submitting fingerprint cards, or if the individual requires review by the Commission's Division of Professional Practices, the process will take longer. If the application is pending review by the Commission's Division of Professional Practices, the online file will indicate that the application is "pending additional evaluation".
Certificates of Clearance are valid for five-years. Individuals may view the status of their Certificate of Clearance application using the lookup button on our home page. Online applications submitted prior to 4:00 p.m. PST will display on the website the following day at approximately 2:00 p.m. PST or later.
When requirements for issuance of the Certificate of Clearance are completed, an e-mail will be sent informing the individual that the document has been granted and can be viewed in 48 hours using the lookup button on our home page .
Checks and money orders should be made payable to Commission on Teacher Credentialing or CTC.
Mail all applications to:
State of California
Commission on Teacher Credentialing
1900 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CASource: www.ctc.ca.gov