Online Teaching Certification: How and Where to Get Certified to Teach Online
People are always going to need and want to learn, and this makes teaching an indispensable profession. These days, students are more naturally receptive and in tune with online and interactive learning; making an online teaching certification a great way to utilize your skills as a teacher.
If you are looking to teach on online portals such as Udemy.com, consider obtaining an online teaching certification to begin instructing students using technology, web-based applications, and interactive software. There are over 6,000 courses today available on Udemy taught by certified instructors, so let’s take a look at some of the best places online to obtain a teaching certification and how you can get started with online teaching.
Places to Earn a Teaching Certificate Online
These days, you can find almost anything you need online, and this is true for online teaching certificates as well. Let’s take a look at some prime and accredited places online to obtain a teaching certificate.
The University of Florida : At the University of Florida’s College of Education, you can earn a wide variety of teaching degrees as well as certificates.
There are certificate programs in such areas as:
- Educational Leadership
- Curriculum and Instruction in Teacher Leadership for School Improvement
- Curriculum and Instruction for Education Technology
- Special Education
Full out-of-state tuition for UF is around $27,936 per year for 30 credits for undergraduate students and $29,344 per year for graduate students. However, if you are a Florida resident, you can expect your tuition to be lower.
George Washington University : George Washington University’s School of Education is unique in that it offers teaching courses that help teachers prepare for both online and classroom learning. GWU offers certificates as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees and select teaching courses. Some of their programs require students to attend some in class learning, so let’s take a look at the certificate programs that are taught exclusively online:
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership and Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Bilingual Special Education
- Graduate Certificate in Brain Injury for Educational and Transition Services
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Technology Leadership with six sub-specialties
- A Master’s in Bilingual Special Education
- A Master’s in Educational Technology Leadership
- A Master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling
The tuition costs for GWU will vary depending on the program and course. For example, an online course for a master’s degree in bilingual special education program will cost you about $619 per credit hour.
Graceland University : Graceland University prides itself in being a pioneer of distance learning, which means that most of its courses or certificate programs can be attained in the comfort of your own home. GU offers a good number of online degree and certificate programs if you are looking to dab into the field of education.
- Certificate in Special Education
- Management in the Inclusive Classroom
- Collaborative Teaching and Learning
- Differentiated Instruction
- Technology Integration
- Mild/Moderate Special Education
A great thing about Graceland University is that their online courses and certificate programs are made highly affordable for their students.
Arizona State University : A popular University from the Phoenix area,
Arizona State University’s online virtual campus is just as highly regarded as its in-person school. ASU’s online programs offer a variety of degrees and certifications in Education, including:
- Master of Arts or Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Master of Education in Educational Administration & Supervision
The Curriculum and Instruction degree programs are offered with a number of areas of specialization, including the following:
- Early Childhood Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Teaching and Learning, Autism Spectrum Focus
- Teaching and Learning, Gifted Education Focus
It should be noted that a number of these online programs can lead to graduate certifications as well.
Tuition for ASU’s online programs are the same for in-state and out-of-state residents. Undergraduate courses are $442 for each credit hour, and graduate courses will cost your $463 per credit hour. These prices can vary depending on the spring, summer, or fall semesters.
Drexel University : Drexel University has been offering online degrees and certification since 1996, and offers students a unique online learning experience that can help prepare future teachings to teach online. Ranked as one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools in 2011” by U.S. News & World Report, Drexel offers education degrees and teaching certifications programs. These programs are aimed at exposing this generation o teachers to the latest developments in instructional technology .
The cost of tuition at DU is around $784 per credit.
Liberty University : Liberty University currently enrolls 90,000 students in its online program from around the world, and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as certification programs in education. A few of their offerings are as follows:
- Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Special Education for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education
- Master of Education for Program Specialist in Reading
- Master of Education in Teaching and Learning for Early childhood
- Master of Science in Sport Management for Sport Administration
- Doctor of Education
Another affordable online option, Liberty University offers programs for around $325 per hour for undergraduates, $465 per hour for master-level programs, and $495 per hour for doctor-level programs.
Tips for Teaching Online
If you are looking forward to using your teaching skills online, here are some helpful tips for being a successful online teacher:
- Promote your availability.
- Match your student’s needs with your own.
- Connect with students and set up schedules.
- Get experience.
- Set up your office and market yourself to potential clients, or sign up on online teaching portals such as Udemy.com .
Take the Teaching World By Storm
If you are looking for an online teaching certification, we have no doubt that any of the above choices will help put you on the path towards your teaching career goals. If you are interested in learning how to incorporate your teaching skills in an online environment, head over to Udemy.com and enroll in one of these courses that will get you ready to begin teaching online.Source: blog.udemy.com