Credit portal




How do i get a national insurance number

how do i get a national insurance number

When you move to the UK you must apply for a National Insurance number.

Your UK National Insurance number is like a personal ID or account number. (Like the PPS number in Ireland).

It is unique to you and you keep the same one all your life. It makes sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name. It also acts as a reference number when communicating with the UK Department of Work and Pensions and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

You will need a National Insurance Number (NINO) to work in the UK or to claim benefits or tax credits

If you are claiming welfare benefits - your application for a national insurance number will be made as part of the benefit claim process.

If you are starting work or

setting up as self-employed you will need a National Insurance number.

It is however not mandatory to have a National Insurance number before starting work. But. many employers insist on potential employees producing an NI number before granting them job.

To start the process you have to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 (lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday). You will possibly have to attend an 'Evidence of identity' interview -.

You will need to bring some forms of ID with you to prove your identity. (originals, not photocopies)

For example a: * valid passport (UK or foreign)

* national identity card (UK or foreign)

* residence permit or residence card

* full birth or adoption certificate

* full marriage or civil partnership certificate

* driving licence (UK or foreign)

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: