Credit portal




How to get usaa insurance

Share this Review

What You Should Know

Serving those who serve adds an increased measure of devotion and commitment to any job. At USAA, which serves the insurance and financial needs of veterans and members of the military, the sense of mission is pervasive and empowering. Employees say helping customers, who have sacrificed for their country, provides a true sense of satisfaction. They also enjoy the company's many unique perks, from a cash bonus at the holidays equal to two weeks of salary to wellness programs and summer camps for kids. Those accustomed to the military’s sense of teamwork and camaraderie will find themselves at home here. “For me it's all about the focus on the members - our military," one employee says. "USAA not only says everything they do is for their members, they live and breathe that every single day.”

USAA has been awarded:

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At USAA, 84 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 12 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

USAA employees provide insurance and financial services to veterans and their families. The company has approximately 26,267 employees in the United States, where they operate 76 locations.

A large majority of employees (90 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (84 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (89 percent), their work at USAA is more than just a job: The chance to serve those who have served their country provides special meaning.

At USAA, 89 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at USAA, 72 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 4 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,250
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 93 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 33 hours
  • USAA continually develops its employees, with internal career assessment tools and training programs in leadership development, management development and interpersonal skills. The company also has special programs for preparing former military officers for the civilian workforce and the Volunteer Innovation Program, which allows employees to expand their skill sets by volunteering to work on ideas or research projects about which they are passionate.
Even in the busiest of areas, there are still scheduled group events, and training opportunities abound to ensure the growth of the employee.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At USAA, 85 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 11 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

A large majority of employees (95 percent) describe their working environment as consistently friendly, and at least eight out of 10 also describe it as caring, fun and cooperative, with a family or team feeling, where people feel comfortable being themselves. In fact, 81 percent actually look forward to coming to work.

Fun and Celebrations

  • USAA employees frequently celebrate together with events such as an annual holiday lunch, holiday party, annual picnic, Military Spouse Appreciation Day and events to celebrate employees' milestone years of service.

Caring and Support

  • When difficult life situations occur, USAA tries to meet the needs of employees. For instance, family and medical leave is available for those who are caring for family members with health conditions, have health conditions of their own or who experience the birth of a child or an adoption. Employees who are deployed by the U.S. military have a dedicated team of HR advisors during the entire deployment cycle to assist them and their families, as well as a deployment-preparedness kit and an intranet site that helps them transition to reserve military duty and to the civilian workforce upon their return.

People celebrate special events around here.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: