How to obtain a birth certificate missouri
You may need a birth certificate when enrolling in school, applying for a social security card or for certain legal proceedings. This can prove frustrating when you do not have a copy immediately on hand. If you want to obtain your birth certificate or if you would like to have an additional copy of your birth certificate you can obtain one with following the procedure given below.
- The Missouri Division of Vital Records (Missouri Vital Records) issues certified copies of Missouri birth certificates for events which occurred within the State of Missouri.
- Birth Certificates are available for events that occurred within the State of Missouri from 1910 to present.
- To request a birth certificate from a local health department, you may download the application and submit it in person or by mail to the nearest local health department http://health.mo.gov/living/lpha/lphas.php
- Make check or money order payable to "The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services". Checks must be drawn on a United States bank. A money order must be drawn on a United States bank or issued by the United States Postal Service. Do not send cash through mail.
- A record can also be requested by writing to the Bureau of Vital Records and providing necessary information
- When requesting a copy of a vital record without an application, a check or money order for the appropriate fee must be mailed to the Bureau of Vital Records
- Applicants must show identification when requesting certified copies of a vital record at the state health department.
- Mail-in requests must be notarized by an acceptable notary public.
- Full name at birth
- The date of birth
- The place of birth
- The mother's maiden name
- The father's name
- Name and address of the applicant
- Phone number, including area code
- Reason for requesting the certificate
- Relationship to the person named on the Certificate
You may go to the nearest local health department with completed application form, a legal size, self-addressed stamped envelope and check or money order or cash for the search fee.
Mail the completed application form, a legal size, self-addressed stamped envelope and check or money order for the search fee. Do not send cash. Mail to:
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Bureau of Vital
P.O. Box 570,
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Requesting a vital record without an application form
A record can be requested by writing to the Bureau of Vital Records at the above address and providing the following information:
- Full name at birth
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- For birth records provide both parents’ names including mother’s maiden name
- Your relationship to the person whose record is being requested
- Explain reason for requesting the record
When requesting a copy of a vital record without an application, a check or money order for the appropriate fee must be mailed to the Bureau of Vital Records (fees and address listed above).Apply Online (VitalChek)
- For expedited service, call Vital Chek at 1-877-817-7363, toll free 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Documents can be requested by phone and charged to a major credit card. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service. To further expedite the request, overnight delivery service is available.
- It's the easiest and most efficient method for ordering official birth certificates and other vital records because there is less room for error when you enter the information yourself. Our simple forms have built-in editing features to help ensure the accuracy of your order.
- VitalChek is an official service, authorized by Missouri Department of Health And Senior Services, to securely order certified Missouri vital records, like birth certificates. Other online services may not be authorized by Missouri Department of Health And Senior Services, and may charge additional fees without providing approved services or guaranteeing confidentiality of your data.
- As a government-approved organization for 25 years, VitalChek safely delivers millions of vital records every year and is America’s No.1 resource for ordering certified vital records across the nation. VitalChek makes purchasing your family’s most important documents, such as Missouri birth certificates, simple, fast and secure:
- Simple step-by-step ordering with easy to use editing features to help ensure the accuracy of your order.
- Fast online ordering, processing & delivery options to help get your certificate as quickly as possible.
- Secure ordering processes that are designed to help protect your identity online.
- VitalChek offers the convenience of ordering Missouri birth certificates for yourself or your family from the privacy of your home or office, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, with no hidden fees or unexplained charges. No traffic, no standing in line, no parking, no hassles.