Credit portal




Take a class and test in-person to obtain your official Washington state food worker card

how to obtain a copy of your birth certificate

The class location is subject to change. Please check back here for the most accurate information or subscribe to our free email alert service to get updates on the latest news about food worker permits in King County.

Get ready!

Study food safety concepts in advance

To help you understand the concepts taught in the class and later in the exam, download the following materials to study in advance so that you can easily pass the test:

Get set!

What to bring with you to the class

  • BE ON TIME! Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the class time on the schedule to ensure that you have time to register, pay for the class and get a seat – doors close at 9:15 am. Class starts promptly at the time given in the schedule. Late arriving individuals are not allowed in class once it starts and will have to either wait for the next time slot or choose a different day. Pre-registration is not required prior to arriving.
  • How long does the class and test last?: The class and test together take about 1-1/2 hours to complete (not including arriving 30 minutes in advance of the class start time.)

  • Photo ID required: such as a driver's license, passport, school ID, etc.

  • Bring $10.00 cash (checks and credit/debit cards not accepted) to

    pay for your Food Worker's Permit.

  • Bring your old card (or a copy): If you are renewing for a 3 or 5 year card, bring your old card or a copy of it that expired less than 30 days ago, or will expire within the next 60 days.

  • Bring proof of training completion: For a 5-year card, bring in proof (certificate or card) that you have completed an approved food safety training class within the last 2 years.

  • Bring a friend or relative to help you: There is no minimum age one needs to be to take the class and test however, you must be able to read the book and test, and to write out your registration form. If you need help, it is good to bring a friend or relative that you can trust to help you during the class.

  • Alternative language formats:
    • Training materials and tests are available at the food worker card classes in English, Spanish, Korean, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Vietnamese. The test is also available in Japanese but sorry no training materials available for this language.
    • If you need help to understand the class or the test, bring someone you trust, or call us for an interpreter (please allow at least two weeks' advance notice) at 206-263-9566.
  • Go!

    Schedule for date, time and location

    Category: Insurance

    Similar articles: