Credit portal




How to obtain birth certificate california

how to obtain birth certificate california



If you want to obtain your birth certificate or if you would like to have an additional copy of your birth certificate you can obtain one with following the procedure given below.


Authorized Copy

Individuals who can obtain an authorized copy of a birth certificate as stated by California law:

  • The registrant (person listed on the certificate) or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant. A child, grandparent, grandchild, brother or sister, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
  • A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the California Family Code.
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business. (Companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency.)
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate. (If you are requesting a Certified Copy under a power of attorney, please include a copy of the power of attorney with the application form.)
  • Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.

Ads by Google

You may obtain your certificate either from the CDPH (only accepts orders submitted by mail) or from your local County Recorder Office (in person or by mail).

Before birth certificates are registered in CDPH's state database and are made available for processing copies, they are first registered in the county where the birth took place. This process is administered through the local county health department (registration) and local county recorder’s office (where the record is maintained).

Because of the time it takes the county offices to send the records to CDPH and to get them registered in CDPH's system, CDPH encourages individuals requesting certified copies of birth certificates to send their applications to the county recorder’s office, if they need to obtain a copy of the certificate within the first three months after the date of event.

Applicants must be aware that, in case you choose to send your request to CDPH within the first three months after the date of event, and the Department do not have the record in their system yet, they will issue you a Certificate of No Public Record (CNPR) and retain the fee for the search, as stated in California law.

Required Information

  • Full name of the

    person on the birth certificate (please provide your maiden name or your name at birth)

  • Date of birth
  • Father’s full name
  • Mother’s full name, to include her maiden name
  • County or city of Birth
  • Requester’s relationship to the person named on the certificate
  • Requester’s reason for requesting the certificate


California Department of Public Health (CDPH)

CDPH Vital Records only accepts orders submitted by mail. Complete and send the application form along with a Notarized sworn statement (if applicable) and check or money order for the certified copy fee to:

California Department of Public Health Vital Records - MS 5103 P.O. Box 997410 Sacramento, CA 95899-7410

If using a courier service that requires a physical address for delivery, please use the following address:

California Department of Public Health Vital Records - MS 5103 1501 Capitol Avenue Sacramento, CA 95814


  • Fill out a separate application for each record requested.
  • Make sure that you have completed all items required on the application, and provide as much information as possible to help locate the record, otherwise your request may be returned to you for correction.
  • Fees are payable to “CDPH Vital Records” via check or money order. International money orders for out-ofcountry requests should be payable in U.S. dollars. Fees are also nonrefundable per state law.
  • If the CDPH cannot locate the record based on the information you provided, California Health and Safety Code authorizes CDPH to maintain the fee for the search itself, and a Certificate of No Public Record (CNPR) will be issued.
  • You must have your sworn statement notarized if ordering an authorized copy. Having your sworn statement notarized is not necessary if you are ordering an informational copy. However, unless an informational copy is indicated on the application form, applications received without a notarized sworn statement will be returned to the sender.
  • A certified copy fee must accompany all requests for copies of vital records.

Applying Online - VitalCheck

Go online and simply follow the steps to place an order. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service and all major credit cards are accepted.


Documents to Use

Sample Documents

Processing Time

The amount of time needed to process your request may occasionally increase as volume of applications being processed by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) increases. The County Recorder Offices can sometimes process requests faster than the CDPH.

Following are processing time for birth record amendments and issuance of a certified copy of the amended record (if you paid for a copy):

Office Locations & Contacts

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Vital Records does not currently have a public counter. However, you may contact them by mail:

California Department of Public Health

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: