Credit portal




Information for Homeowners

how to obtain flood insurance

Within this section, the following references and links will assist homeowners in locating and obtaining copies of their perspective flood maps which are also called Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), how to read them and how to request map changes that may be warranted.

Flood maps are the tool the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) uses to determine the flood risk homeowners face. Prior to the enactment of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), homeowners had no mechanism to protect themselves from the devastation of flooding and, in many parts of the United States, unchecked development in the floodplain was exacerbating the flood risk.

Fast Facts

  • Did you know that homes in the so-called "100-year" floodplain have a 26% chance of flooding over a 30-year period -- the length of a typical mortgage?
  • Did you know that flood insurance is available to all homeowners—even those located outside high-risk areas? Know the Facts .

How to View and Obtain Flood Maps

You may view and order copies of the effective maps and other NFIP products through the Map Service Center. Your local Community Map Repository, usually located in the planning and zoning office, also has copies of flood maps. Please contact the FEMA Map Information eXchange to determine the location of your Community Map Repository.

Risk MAP Flood Risk Products

Know your local flood risk by viewing and downloading your community’s flood risk products from FEMA’s Map Service Center (MSC). Flood risk products are non-regulatory resources that help communities gain a better understanding of flood risk and its potential impacts that FEMA provides in addition to the regulatory Flood Insurance Rate Map and Flood Insurance Study products. Flood risk products may include: Flood Risk Map (FRM), Flood Risk Report (FRR) and Flood Risk Database (FRD).

For more information, go to FEMA’s Flood Risk Products webpage!

Change my Flood Zone Designation

If a property owner thinks their property has been inadvertently mapped in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), they may submit a request to FEMA for a Letter of Map Change (LOMC). A SFHA is defined as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. A LOMC reflects an official revision/amendment to an effective Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). If the LOMC request is granted, property owners may be eligible for lower

flood insurance premiums or the option to not purchase flood insurance.

Applicants can use Online LOMC, an internet-based tool, to easily request a flood map amendment or revision. This tool is a convenient way for applicants to upload all information and supporting documentation and check the status of their application online. Users can submit LOMC requests through this tool instead of filing the MT-EZ, MT-1 or MT-2 paper forms via mail.

Get started today using the new Online LOMC application .

View your Community’s Preliminary Flood Hazard Data

View your community’s preliminary flood hazard data over the web and in one convenient location! Preliminary flood hazard data provide an early look at your home or community’s risk to flood hazards. There are many benefits to viewing your community’s data before it becomes effective. For more information, visit the Preliminary Flood Hazard Data page .

LOMC Clearinghouse

FEMA's Customer and Data Services (CDS) has launched the LOMC Clearinghouse that has centralized the administrative functions associated with processing MT-EZ, MT-1 and MT-2 requests. Specific activities include creation of LOMC case files, upload and scanning of data, processing of associated fees and distribution to the appropriate Production and Technical Services firm for processing.

When submitting paper applications, requestors should mail their applications and supporting data to:

LOMC Clearinghouse

847 South Pickett Street,

Alexandria, VA 22304-4605

Attn: LOMC Manager

For more information about the LOMC Clearinghouse, please contact FMIX at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627) or e-mail a Map Specialist at .

Obtain Assistance from a FEMA Map Specialist

For more information or additional assistance from a FEMA Map Information eXchange (FMIX) Map Specialist:

  • Chat with a Map Specialist
  • Please email a Map Specialist at
  • Please call a Map Specialist toll free, at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627)

What's New in Flood Hazard Mapping?

Keep up with the latest developments and find out What's New in Flood Hazard Mapping .

Please register to receive updates on FEMA Flood Hazard Mapping activities via e-mail.

Map Change Processes for Homeowners

Learn more about the processes for removing your property from a high-risk area requiring flood insurance:

For LOMA and LOMR-F request, you may submit your application online via Online LOMC. If applying by mail, submit either of these forms:

Want a fast turnaround for your LOMA or LOMR-F application? Learn how here:

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: