Credit portal




How can I obtain a copy of my birth certificate if my current name is not the name on the certificate but I am certain it's me?

how to obtain my birth certificate

Posted August 25, 2015 6:32pm

David Luther Woodward

Posted August 25, 2015 7:24pm

You question indicates that you were born in Albany, New York. You also said that you were baptized.

If you were baptized in the Roman Catholic, Episcopal, or Lutheran churches--or others which keep good records--the records would be maintained the parish where the sacrament took place. I would start there and obtain a copy of the baptismal record. This would give you a clue as to what name was really used and who the participants in the service were.

Then I would proceed to the New York counterpart to what my colleague gave you,

and follow their procedure for obtaining a certified copy of your state birth certificate.

Baptismal certificates have stood in for birth certificates in a lot of instances.

If you want the name business sorted out and officially changed to whatever you have gone by traditionally, see a lawyer in your community to help you go through a formal name-change


Good Luck

We do not have an attorney-client relationship unless we enter into a written, formal letter of instruction to represent; accordingly, I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I make are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am admitted to practice in Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas, and to the Bar of U. S. District Courts. Accordingly, my responses reflect the law of those states. I practice extensively in U. S. District and Bankruptcy Courts. Any advice given here is deemed to be within the parameters of the rules of professional responsibility and codes of ethics as promulgated by The Florida Bar and The Supreme Court of Florida, The State Bar of Texas and the Texas Supreme Court, and the Oklahoma Bar Association and the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: