How to obtain pennsylvania birth certificate
You may need a birth certificate when enrolling in school, applying for a social security card or for certain legal proceedings. This can prove frustrating when you do not have a copy immediately on hand. If you want to obtain your birth certificate or if you would like to have an additional copy of your birth certificate you can obtain one with following the procedure given below.
- The Division of Vital Records maintains records of births that occurred from 1906 to the present.
- Certified copies of birth certificates (with a raised seal) are issued and acceptable identifications.
- A certified copy of a birth certificate with a raised seal that can typically be used for travel, passport, proof of citizenship, Social Security, driver's license, school registration, personal identification, employment and other legal purposes.
- Certified copies of birth certificates are available for events that occurred within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1906 to the present.
- There are 3 ways to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate (1) By mail, (2) By online and (3) In Person.
- Check or money order should be made payable to Vital Records.
- Be sure to complete all required information on the application form
- Copies of Pennsylvania vital records may be obtained through VitalChek on an expedited basis.
- Pennsylvania Vital Records will only ship certified copies of Pennsylvania birth certificates to the eligible applicant's verified credit card billing address (online).
- Full name of person at birth on the Pennsylvania birth certificate
- Date of birth on the Pennsylvania birth certificate
- Sex on the Pennsylvania birth certificate
- County (or city) of birth on the Pennsylvania birth certificate
- Hospital of birth - if not in a hospital state "home"
- Full maiden name of mother on the Pennsylvania birth certificate
- Full name of father on the Pennsylvania birth certificate
- Applicant name
- Applicant signature
- Applicant relationship to the person whose Pennsylvania birth certificate you are requesting
- Address where the Pennsylvania birth certificate is to be mailed
- Self addressed stamped envelope
daytime phone number
You may go with complete application form, required fees and documents to the following nearest locations Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Scranton.By Mail
- Download and completely fill out request form
- Make checks and/or money order payable to " Vital Records Service " and photocopy of valid photo ID
- Provide a self-addressed stamped envelope. Print or type your name and address on the envelope using all caps.
- Mail completed request form to:
- It's the easiest and most efficient method for ordering official birth certificates and other vital records because there is less room for error when you enter the information yourself. Our simple forms have built-in editing features to help ensure the accuracy of your order.
- VitalChek is an official service, authorized by Pennsylvania Vital Records, to securely order certified Pennsylvania vital records, like birth and death certificates. Other online services may not be authorized by Pennsylvania Vital Records, and may charge additional fees without providing approved services or guaranteeing confidentiality of your data.
- As a government-approved organization for 25 years, VitalChek safely delivers millions of vital records every year and is America’s No.1 resource for ordering certified vital records across the nation. VitalChek makes purchasing your family’s most important documents, such as Pennsylvania birth certificates, simple, fast and secure:
- Simple step-by-step ordering with easy to use editing features to help ensure the accuracy of your order.
- Fast online ordering, processing & delivery options to help get your certificate as quickly as possible.
- Secure ordering processes that are designed to help protect your identity online.
- VitalChek offers the convenience of ordering Pennsylvania birth certificates for yourself or your family from the privacy of your home or office, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, with no hidden fees or unexplained charges. No traffic, no standing in line, no parking, no hassles.